Power Failure locks me out of my accounts

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My power went off this morning and came back on for 45 mintues and went off.

Now I can't login to the login to my iMac. I ran Disk Utility off my Tiger DVD and repaired permissions. I then retried to login and no luck.

So, I booted off the Tiger DVD once again to run the Reset Password utility. I clicked on the volume I wanted to reset the password for and no User Names pop up in the neat little window.

It appears my user names are toast.

Any help or advice?

TIA

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    My power went out this morning and came back on and went off again.

I have a 1st Gen iMac 20" G5 with 10.4.1 that is always on (I never shut down except for electrical storms).

It turns out that all user account login stuff was toasted! Ouch! I had to call AppleCare and they were able to rename some file and then I had to setup a different user name and drag all my USR settings and doc's over. I have made a back up of my files and settings and am restoring to a 12 day system backup and then going to update my email folder and, most importantly, my FCP projects. So really not to big a deal.

However, this got me thinking. How bad was my luck to get locked out of all my user accounts from a power failure? Is this likely to happen again or did I just get that 1 in a million bird craps on my head?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    A call to AppleCare got me back into my files but my accounts were toast! Sucks!!

So I am restoring from a 12 day old backup and then dragging my documents back across. There goes my Saturday.

Thank God for AppleCare...
  • Reply 3 of 7
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Makes you glad you didn't use FileVault, eh?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member

Moving to Genius Bar and merging with other thread -JL
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Sorry for the double post but I thought by not asking for help and asking for "what are the chances of this occuring again" I was being safe by posting twice.

So, what are the chances?

I am using SuperDuper to maintain a bootable mirror image of my main drive now with an external 300 GB FW drive. Maybe I won't have any more wasted long days.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Maybe time to get an battery backed up power supply.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

Maybe time to get an battery backed up power supply.

I have one already. But it can't last more than 2x minutes.