Will you be first in line to order an Intel Mac?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
It's presumed that the Intel chips will first find their way into iBooks and PowerBooks, and the MacMini. Regardless, will you be the first on your block to buy an Intel-based Mac?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

It's presumed that the Intel chips will first find their way into iBooks and PowerBooks, and the MacMini. Regardless, will you be the first on your block to buy an Intel-based Mac?

no... i want a mac mini.. not sure why i want one.. i have a beautiful iMac... i guess for a lil toy to play w/ and such...
  • Reply 2 of 20
    If they bring out higher definition powerbooks with Centrino-like insides I might consider it... particularly if the 12" PB made the transition to a widescreen display of either 12 or 13 inches. That would get me in line outside the applestore on launch day
  • Reply 3 of 20
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I think everything everyone has been lusting for in an Apple notebook is going to become a reality with Intel inside.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    My Ti is aging, and replacing it with MacIntel laptop will give me a great MacIntel dev environment. Meanwhile, my G5 tower will suit me well for years to come.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    No. I will pickup one of the mini's in August and possibly a 20" Display as well, but I sure as hell won't be first in line to get a Mac with Intel Inside.

That's because I don't buy Rev. A Apple computers as a matter of principle.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    shawkshawk Posts: 116member
    Uh.. I already ordered one.

A developer unit, obviously.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Reason a) I wont buy: I dont have any money. no, not very little money, i dont have any.

Reason b) I wont buy:

Rev. A computers, especially with a whole new architecture inside, are full of bugs. Usually. If i had money (refer to reason a), i would prefer to wait for at least rev. b before buying.

But that's just me.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

That's because I don't buy Rev. A Apple computers as a matter of principle.

Absolutely.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyriX

Reason a) I dont have any money.

Reason b) I wont buy Rev. A computers

A mild form of reason a plus a big portion of reason b = no buy till fall 2007.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    rob2786rob2786 Posts: 34member
    well by the time i have enough money im sure there will be atleast a revision b powerbook, but then i will buy one right away!!
  • Reply 11 of 20
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Lack of money is the only reason why I wouldn't rush out and buy a Mactel.

A Yonah Mac Mini or a P-M iBook though would be easily in my range so I guess you could say yes I might be in line.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    I was looking at a G5 this summer/fall but now I will definitely hold off until the Intel machines are out. Not sure if I'll brave rev A intel tho.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    I purchased a Rev.A G4 iMac when they first hit the store and have had little or no problems with it, but a Rev.A INTEL Mac would be a whole other ball game.

Personally I would wait 'till the Rev.B models are released and all 'major' bugs are ironed out.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    HELL YES! - I'am gonna buy cause I always have a soft spot for new gear and the excitement it brings to know it's on the way. I want first hand expierence with the new tek.

"Think Alike... BE Different!"
  • Reply 15 of 20
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    12" PB loaded to the gills unless they release a 10" model and I would opt for it.

Yeah, I am going to be in line.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    If the PB gets a dual core - yes, it would provide the sufficent boost to my existing PB 1.25G G4.

So would it be fair to say that the PB's are not likely to get a speed bump (7448?) this year, but a Dual Core Intel at MWSF?.

Its close as the Yonah is due in the first quarter of 2006 - and Intel has been known to slip with its chip announcements, in particular this new dual core Pentium M is moving to a 65nm process - so it may not be ready by Jan 06?.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    First or second Powermac or equivalent that comes out, I will get. And if the processor is upgradeable, Rev. A will be my purchase without question.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    I'd buy any new Mac over the next 6 months like a new PB and/or PM. I can then get a new Mactel a few years later, thus skipping the transition period and any rev A Mactel.

I wouldn't be concerned about any rev A hardware. My concern would be Apple's early versions of its OS for Mactel. I don't anticipate any major problems with that, either, but there could be performance issues. Intel will be using new chips that Apple will try to take advantage of but you just know the code won't be fully optimized for the OS or the apps. You won't see full optimization or app compatibility until towards the end of the transition period which means the end of 2007. If you buy a new Mac this year, no problem.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    No. I recently bought a PowerBook. I figure there will be problems with the first Mactels. Not with the operating system itself. I am betting a lot of apps will not be ready for the transition, or will have bugs. People are not going to be able to beta test their software because no one will have hardware to test it on.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    regreg Posts: 832member
    No. My pb17 (Feb 03) and dual 2.0 G5 (July 03) still have plenty of life in them. There would have to be some unbelievable preformance gains to get me to upgrade early. Or a slimmer, lighter 3.5 Ghz pb 20 that also does my laundry.

reg