Video of a Dell running OS X

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Check out: http://rssmac.altervista.org/video/

Where u can see a portable Dell running OS X.

But I'm not that convinced, I think it may be a hoax.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Why shouldn't it work? From what we've been hearing, the dev machines have completely generic PC hardware.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Since the dev machines comes with the os pre-installed. There is a problem getting it over to another computer. Of course u can make a disk image of the entire disk, but how to format a pc disk with hfs+ which I've heard is required.

But it maybe is possible! And a better video might have been more convincing!

Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Why shouldn't it work? From what we've been hearing, the dev machines have completely generic PC hardware.

• Reply 3 of 15
    could this be PearPC? (a PowerPC architecture emulator that allows OSX to run under windows)

well i'm trying to try this program now. Just having trouble installing osx \
  • Reply 4 of 15
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Jeez, its slow whatever it is.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

But I'm not that convinced, I think it may be a hoax.

It's sort of a hoax.. what it looks like is that they have OSX loaded in there in PearPC.

PearPC is a PowerPC emulator that you can install OSX in (I run Tiger on my Dell GX270 every day).

Looking at the slow refresh rates on the animation it looks like it acts just like it does in PearPC on my machine.

It'll be nice if it runs natively someday, but according to Apple that's not going to happen.

Steve
  • Reply 6 of 15
    cj171cj171 Posts: 144member
    look at how laggy the minimizing and sluggish the dock is...you can run pearpc in fullscreen and i'm willing to bet that's what we're watching...the reported torrent of the intel version was a fake...
  • Reply 7 of 15
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    But remember, that's emulating a PPC with an X86, bound to be slow. I would expect it's far easier to provide an environment in which OSX can run when you don't have to emulate the architecture -- bound to be fast. I just don't know how Apple is going to stop hackers from porting OSX to any X86 machine.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Matsu: The dev kit version is not PPC code, but x86 code. No emulation. (Unless of course you were talking about PearPC emulating a PPC version, in which case yeah, it's going to be sloooooooow.)

In fact, *so* slow that I'm almost willing to believe that was the actual 10.4.1. It appears that the graphics are the dog on that - and if the graphics in that Dell are Intel Integrated or somesuch, then that's pretty much what you'd expect. :/ I mean, look at the Spotlight search speed - that's CPU bound, which under PearPC would *still* be emulated and slow, but the results seem to pop up quickly... it's just the drawing speed which looks to bite shiny metal butt.

Just my opinion. I'm not 100% sold that it's PearPC. It *might* be the real thing.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Matsu: The dev kit version is not PPC code, but x86 code. No emulation. (Unless of course you were talking about PearPC emulating a PPC version, in which case yeah, it's going to be sloooooooow.)

In fact, *so* slow that I'm almost willing to believe that was the actual 10.4.1. It appears that the graphics are the dog on that - and if the graphics in that Dell are Intel Integrated or somesuch, then that's pretty much what you'd expect. :/ I mean, look at the Spotlight search speed - that's CPU bound, which under PearPC would *still* be emulated and slow, but the results seem to pop up quickly... it's just the drawing speed which looks to bite shiny metal butt.

Just my opinion. I'm not 100% sold that it's PearPC. It *might* be the real thing.

Can't be the real thing, the required drivers to run OS X on that Dell simply don't exist.

During the Spotlight search, it seems the video is sped up at times. Or maybe the camera man and his shadow become increasingly jittery at the thought of Spotlight searching.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Most definitely talking about Pear PC. My point is that if, let's call it "PearPC-PPC emulation" can run at all, then a potential PearPC-X86 would run like crazy.

Apple will do their level best to stop it, but I'm not sure they can concocte something beyond the hackers art...
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Fake.

LOOK AT THAT DOCK! Who would have all of these programs already installed? And Why?

It's VNC folks. VNC >> Wireless >> Mac sitting off camera.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    deestardeestar Posts: 105member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew Yohe

Fake.

LOOK AT THAT DOCK! Who would have all of these programs already installed? And Why?

I think your right, there seems to be alot of graphic "tarring" which i usually see alot when using VNC.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew Yohe

Fake.

Good eye.

You can also see the wireless network card on the right-side of the computer flashing away while there's no obvious network activity (besides VNC of course )...and as if 10.4.1 would have the drivers for that card.

Definitely a VNC, Wireless, Mac thing going on.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    As long as these clips drum up interest and don't scare away potential switchers, I'm all for them.

I'll post a hoax photo of my 'iPhone' later, and you know it'll get people all hot and bothered, even though its just a Motorola v551 with an Apple desktop picture on it.

Some people see what they want to see / believe what they want to believe.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    It is slower than I can believe for it to be real. I can only believe this emulated PPC version of OS X under a 750Mhz x86 processor. Because that version of tiger looks like it's running on a 200MHz processor. That's just not enough to handle it. If that were a 750MHz P3 the intel tiger would run better than that.