Focused Realistic(?) Wishlist for New iBooks

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
now, given the edu season, 'great powerpc products' in the pipeline, and the need to put out some decent iBooks for securing Mac sales in the July-Sep 2005 quarter, what would you like to see in iBooks? i feel this deserves its own thread for people who really want a Mac g4 PPC laptop, and just don't see a reason to buy a powerbook.

tubgirl, if you don't mind, you mentioned:

1 - "soon" 2005: ibook and powerbook speed bump

nothing extraordinary, only a few mhz. but the ibook will get a (low clocked) 9600 gfx-chip an maybe 512mb of 'bolt on' ram.

yes, me likey

here's mine:

US$899.00

iBook g4 1.33ghz 12"

combo drive

approx 12" widescreen 1280x720

512mb

40gb 5400rpm drive

ati mobilitised(?) 9600 64mb vram

mac os 10.4.2

iLife '05

airport extreme+ bluetooth (no change)

US $1,199.00

iBook g4 1.5ghz 14" wide

approx. 14" widescreen: 720p spec (1280x720) true 16:9 ratio

improved LCD

combo drive

512mb soldered-on RAM, 1 free ram slot, supports up to 1.5GB ram total

133mhz fsb (no change of course)

60gb 5400rpm drive

ati mobilitised-9600 or something like that, full quartz 2d extreme support 64mb vram

mac os 10.4.2

iLife '05

us$1399

iBook g4 1.5ghz 14" with superdrive dual layer

4x superdrive, supports dual-layer

approx. 14" widescreen: 720p spec (1280x720) true 16:9 ratio

improved LCD

512mb soldered-on RAM, 1 free ram slot, supports up to 1.5GB ram total

133mhz fsb (no change of course)

60gb 5400rpm drive

ati mobilitised-9600 or something like that, full quartz 2d extreme support

64mb vram

mac os 10.4.2

iLife '05

only thing is that this butts up somewhat against the new powerbooks, but this along with a Mac mini update will see strong core Mac sales through July-Sep 2005....

comments, flames, discussion, much welcome. i want a new iBook !!! the FINAL PowerPC iBook

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    I am also waiting on an iBook but refuse to buy one without a minimum of 64mb video ram and 512mb standard ram. If that's all they update, I'll click the buy button.

I'd love to see a better screen but I really doubt we'll see anything for $899. I really think the iBook will retail for $1099 with the new updates and perhaps only 1 screen size.

Hopefully this month!
  • Reply 2 of 53
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    I think that looks about right, Sunil. Those look like they might still be 7447s. The bump in the HD size will be welcome too.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

I think that looks about right, Sunil. Those look like they might still be 7447s. The bump in the HD size will be welcome too.

thanks buddy.

it's a bit optimistic by apple standards, but then given apple's need to promote what's left of the ppc line, they could just do that kind of stuff (fingers crossed...)

definitely 7447s \ for the updated iBooks.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

thanks buddy.

it's a bit optimistic by apple standards, but then given apple's need to promote what's left of the ppc line, they could just do that kind of stuff (fingers crossed...)

definitely 7447s \ for the updated iBooks.

Well, finally apple will promote the

ppc line as the consumer line. By the end of

2007 only the iBook will remain ppc.

This is irony in its purest form.

• Reply 5 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

Well, finally apple will promote the

ppc line as the consumer line. By the end of

2007 only the iBook will remain ppc.

This is irony in its purest form.

indeed voxy.... how times have changed... by the end of this decade, there'll be some interesting changes in the world....
  • Reply 6 of 53
    Quote:

indeed voxy.... how times have changed... by the end of this decade, there'll be some interesting changes in the world....

Not only in the world, in my house too.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    I am about to buy an iBook for my girlfriend (ok, help her buy it, rather). Is there anything making us think they will release an updated one soon? She goes to school in August but, of course, wants it now.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryanschmidt

I am about to buy an iBook for my girlfriend (ok, help her buy it, rather). Is there anything making us think they will release an updated one soon? She goes to school in August but, of course, wants it now.

i would definitely definitely wait until end of july... unless she's a hardcore mac geek, one can surely resist the temptation for just 6 more weeks, right
  • Reply 9 of 53
    Quote:

i would definitely definitely wait until end of july... unless she's a hardcore mac geek, one can surely resist the temptation for just 6 more weeks, right

You clearly haven't read the Stanford speech.
  • Reply 10 of 53
    tokentoken Posts: 142member
    I am (in the absence of my iBook) writing this on a 14" widescreen HP dv1224, a very nice machine that would be a very nice format for new iBooks (except for WInXP, etc). But a widescreen iBook would imply a complete redesign, something I would deem pretty unlikely before the introduction of Intel processors..

I believe more in this configuration for the low end iBook:

US$799.00 (price drop to compete)

iBook g4 1.33ghz 12"

Combo drive

12" 'normal' 1024x768

512mb ram

60gb 4200rpm drive

Nvidia 32 mb ram (lowest possible gpu supporting Tiger effects)

Mac OS X 10.4.2

Airport extreme+ bluetooth

iLife '05, perhaps also iWork 1.5 instead of Appleworks.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    realistically, 64mb vram, 512 ram on high model standard
  • Reply 12 of 53
    An update is sure to be here within six weeks. I would be surprised to see 1.5Ghz in the top end. I think 1.42 is more realistic, that way Apple can bump one more time before iBooks go intel. The certain update is a GPU that is %100 Core compatible. I'm also guessing 80Gb HD and 512Mb soldered.\
  • Reply 13 of 53
    fieldorfieldor Posts: 213member
    Someone on the boards said something about necc: http://www.apple.com/education/necc/ . It is the perfect place I would think for an upgrade to iBook and mac mini.

EDIT: Someone= Flail in this thread http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=54859
  • Reply 14 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by fieldor

Someone on the boards said something about necc: http://www.apple.com/education/necc/ . It is the perfect place I would think for an upgrade to iBook and mac mini.

EDIT: Someone= Flail in this thread http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=54859

right on. awesome

99% possibility they drop the track re: updated iBooks over the weekend just before, or that morning on the 27th

awwww yeah. fucking bring it on...!!! my (richer, older, wiser) brother arrives in my town on Sat 26 June. he'll be in for two weeks. sweet perfect timing to ask him for a favour.

excuse the french and swearing, but this is it. updated iBooks, and i've got to stop hogging my dad's iBook g4 933mhz. also if the updated iBooks have 512mb soldered, i just bought a 512mb Apacer pc2700 piece, works great, drop it in, lock and load with new iBook 14" wide 1.5ghz with 1gb ram. AND QUARTZ 2D EXTREME SUPPORTED 64mb VRAM ATI MOBILITY 9600 or so...!!! COME ON COME ON COME ON

YEAHHH. 80GB 5400rpm... come on come on come on ...!
  • Reply 15 of 53
    edit: also i got a family friend lined up who offered to help me get edu discount.

YEAHHH
  • Reply 16 of 53
    dont get too excited yet
  • Reply 17 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by alliancep.s.i

dont get too excited yet

• Reply 18 of 53
    apoderapoder Posts: 49member
    the suspense...I don't think I can hold off much longer
  • Reply 19 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by Apoder

the suspense...I don't think I can hold off much longer

tell me about it. i fucking need my own laptop soon. ah well... i refuse to buy the current iBooks. refuse, i tell ya. until the new ones come out. value for money. i'm such a bitter twisted bastard nowadays.
  • Reply 20 of 53
    apoderapoder Posts: 49member
    I hear u sunilraman.

iBooks before August...PLEASE!!!