What happened to the PB 17" HD?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I've been holding off on purchasing my new laptop, while I wait for the fabled higher-resolution 17" PB. It's now 4 months since Apple themselves leaked mention of this screen option in the user manual and I'm still waiting.

Now I'm in a quandry. I do need to upgrade from the 12" PB I'm currently using. The only reason I would move up to a 17" PB is if it had this higher-res screen. I've been looking at the 15", which is the right size, but I always come back to the screen resolution as the one (lacking) feature that holds me back. I would be able to look past the physical size of the 17" PB if it had the higher density display.

This is mostly a vent, but I'm also curious if anyone has heard anything further on the 1920x1400 17" PB. So?

(Before anyone starts on 'Squintronics?' ... my vision can handle it.)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    I imagine they will use it as a BTO option on the next PPC 17" PowerBook update in order to tempt those waiting for a MacTel 17" PowerBook. Maybe that's why it was pulled at the last minute. They knew then that IBM wasn't going to deliver what they needed for portable use so they they had to hold back on some new features that they will use to tide them over until the Intel transition.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    One of those "great new PPC products". Since Tiger didn't bring us resolution independence after all, I would only expect HD on the 17". Maybe a speed-bump too (7448 possibly).

I wonder if there will be an HD iMac too?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Personally, I believe the HD display on the 17" will be introduced with the next round of PowerBook updates. I further believe that Apple is waiting for the 7448 which should be ready by this fall if Freescale finally got their act together.

I don't see Apple introducing new Powerbooks in the holyday season, but of course I could be wrong...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I agree with '84, Apple will release some bitchin' updates in all of the lines to ward off stagnating sales during this pre-Intel era. Along with Powerbooks, I expect twin dual-core Powermac G5s, and maybe a sweet iMac update including HD displays, better video chip-sets, and maybe a serious clockspeed boost.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I agree with '84, Apple will release some bitchin' updates in all of the lines to ward off stagnating sales during this pre-Intel era. Along with Powerbooks, I expect twin dual-core Powermac G5s, and maybe a sweet iMac update including HD displays, better video chip-sets, and maybe a serious clockspeed boost.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    naknak Posts: 101member
    '84 sounds good on his speculation of when the most likely time for HD screens.

Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

I wonder if there will be an HD iMac too?

I hope they get the powerbooks before they do anything more to the iMacs, as powerbook sales are as gruesome as they are.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    I'd expect them to update the screen and other stuff when they do the intel switch. they'd be pretty stupid not to update the screens since those seem to be the source of some major complaints. And just to give you hope, those new PB's could come anytime between now and 6/6/06 (or whenever wwdc 2006 is)

...and you're not the only one hoping either