Smart Mailbox Frustration: Help

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I often recieve e-mail messages with large attachments, and unfortunately my company only allocates me a small 15MB or so of e-mail space. So, I can get cut off from sending e-mail until I delete or move items to my local machine (which I hate doing because I often need them remotely).

In any case, why can't I build a SMART MAILBOX that holds messages that exceed a certain size, so that I can quickly review them and move the non-critical items to local storage? Seems simple enough, but there is no field for this in the Smart Mailbox menu. Is there a work-around?

Anyone else find Spotlight's SMART folder/mailbox etc. technology limiting in the simplest search terms while powerful on the complex or rarely used?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sport73

I often recieve e-mail messages with large attachments, and unfortunately my company only allocates me a small 15MB or so of e-mail space. So, I can get cut off from sending e-mail until I delete or move items to my local machine (which I hate doing because I often need them remotely).

In any case, why can't I build a SMART MAILBOX that holds messages that exceed a certain size, so that I can quickly review them and move the non-critical items to local storage? Seems simple enough, but there is no field for this in the Smart Mailbox menu. Is there a work-around?

Anyone else find Spotlight's SMART folder/mailbox etc. technology limiting in the simplest search terms while powerful on the complex or rarely used?

Thanks.

You'd have to make a Mail Rule that basically runs for every incoming mail message. Then in the actions of the rule choose "Run AppleScript". Here's a script to get you started. I haven't tested it but it should give you the general idea.

Code:

property maxSize : 2 * 1024

on perform_mail_action(info)

tell application "Mail"

set selectedMessages to |SelectedMessages| of info

repeat with eachMessage in selectedMessages

if size of eachMessage is greater than maxSize then move eachMessage to mailbox "largeMsgs"

end repeat

end tell

end perform_mail_action

• Reply 2 of 3
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Well,

I found in AUTOMATOR that there is a script to filter messages by size. Oddly, it won't let me select my inbox, only my locally saved messages.

I can select the local messages by filtering for only IMAP accounts, but now the problem is defining the size. It doesn't tell you how to list size (MB, KB whatever) and you can enter numbers up to 6 digits. Entering 100,000 still returns messages of 42kb.

• Reply 3 of 3
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sport73

Well,

I found in AUTOMATOR that there is a script to filter messages by size. Oddly, it won't let me select my inbox, only my locally saved messages.

I can select the local messages by filtering for only IMAP accounts, but now the problem is defining the size. It doesn't tell you how to list size (MB, KB whatever) and you can enter numbers up to 6 digits. Entering 100,000 still returns messages of 42kb.

Are you using "Find Messages in Mail"? That Action lets me choose "Messages" and doesn't ask for a mailbox. I entered 500000 in the "Size" box and it found one message that was 5.1 MB (the attachment, which was good) out of 1173 messages.