IM clients for OS X?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I just got my Powerbook today and I'm in the process of setting it up. I'm wondering what the best chat client is to use for OS X. I'm used to DeadAIM on PC. Basically, I like the tabbed chat window. Is there anything for the Mac that has tabbed chatting? I only use AIM, if that matters. Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by timf0ran

I just got my Powerbook today and I'm in the process of setting it up. I'm wondering what the best chat client is to use for OS X. I'm used to DeadAIM on PC. Basically, I like the tabbed chat window. Is there anything for the Mac that has tabbed chatting? I only use AIM, if that matters. Thoughts?

There's Proteus at http://www.defaultware.com/proteus/ which has a vertical implementation of tabs.

And there's Adium at http://www.adiumx.com/ which has a horizontal implementation of tabs.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    excellentt thanks
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Adium X all the way baby!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    timf0rantimf0ran Posts: 17member
    ohh man it's such a sweeet client. all the way around. i cant really find a problem with it.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    adium certainly is the BEST client around in terms of handling text, and the GUI.

However there are two problems that will keep me from using it until they are 100% fixed.

1. File transfer. It's still...sketchy.

2. Voice/Video chat. Nonexistant for now.

Too bad iChat has to suck so much. Honestly, they should just copy all of adium's ideas. Tabs, "styles", buddy list handling, and gee, I duno, the ability to make a freakin profile, and have a Sign On window so MORE THAN ONE PERSON can use iChat.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    timf0rantimf0ran Posts: 17member
    yeah from what i saw in my 2 minutes use, ichat sucked the big one
  • Reply 7 of 7
    kwsanderskwsanders Posts: 327member
    I agree with the Adium suggestions. I use Trillian on my laptop PC and Adium for the Mac is a lot like Trillian. They both allow you to connect to all four of the major IM services, although you said that you only use AOL.

The added benefit of Adium is that it allows you to connect to other .Mac users if you have a .Mac account.