Need Help~! possible to make hdd partition without formatting hdd??!!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hi everyone

I really need your help here...

I was looking for a way to make partitions without formatting or losing datas in the hard drive...

and I ended up finding no way... I know... I'm a newbie with mac n it happens all the time...

can anybody help me out of this?? if there's a way, please guide me through how to make partitions without losing datas in existing hard drive...

if there's no way, please reply me "no way!!"

thanks for help around here everytime n really appreciated...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Sorry, but you cannot partition without formatting the disk and losing the data that was on it.

Dobby.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Yes you can. I think Micromat makes a tool to do that. I did it to make a emergency partition if something should to my main drive.

Of course, you should backup your documents just in case.

EDIT: LINKY 8)
  • Reply 3 of 10
    natopgunnatopgun Posts: 26member
    hi guys.. thanks for reply

but as you see, I'm stil confused. one saying can't while another saying can..

I really apprecite those your help above, but can you please tell me more about micromat??? is it freeware??

thanks guys. really apprecite it.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Micromat is a company that offers one of the best hard drive repair utilities called Tech Tool Pro. (Another good one is Diskwarrior) I'd say they are a overall reliable company and their products are pretty stable. I have had only one or two problems before but TTP has fixed lots more. It is not a free program (TTP ran me about $60 with a Macworld special). You can see for yourself HERE. I feel like I got my money's worth out of it.

I've never used the program you want. (I never needed to) I subscribe to the "Big files, Big disk" ideology.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    thanks. Ebby

it helped a lot. I better get one of those product and give it a go.

I hope that they have some kinda student discount or s'thing.

thanks again and really apprecited your help!
  • Reply 6 of 10
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Oh no, I hope i'm not too late.

Drive Genius can do it. They also make another Great product Data Rescue. Hope you never need that one though. Good luck.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by AquaMac

Oh no, I hope i'm not too late.

Drive Genius can do it. They also make another Great product Data Rescue. Hope you never need that one though. Good luck.

Hi aquamac.

thanks for posting reply.

I just found out that the one you recommended has got a try version which. now I can try before buy something...

I was going to buy some of utilities for doing my newbie mac stuffs, because there arn't many free ones, not like windows... but at this moment I'll give it a go with this try version first.

thanks and it will help a lot.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    If you're looking for software, both free, share, and commercial, go to versiontracker.com and macupdate.com

enjoy!

--B
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

If you're looking for software, both free, share, and commercial, go to versiontracker.com and macupdate.com

enjoy!

--B

thanks bergz

as you suggested going to versiontracker.com and macupdate.com, I looked around those sites and did realize that there are plenty of softwares that I didn't know... I actually knew only few, only the basic ones...

now I'm getting ideas

thanks for sharing infos and your time. I really appreciated.

• Reply 10 of 10
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Your quite Welcome Natopgun. Sorry I'm not an expert, just sharing what I do know. Keep posting your Q's or A's no Mac user is alone in AppleInsider. . A q u a M a c .