Missing Sync: will it help my Palm syncing problems?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am still struggling with syncronization my Palm Treo650 with my Tiger PowerBook. Originally, I was going to use Entourage, but after playing with iCal and Address Book, I think I acutally like those apps better.

So far, my syncing (using iSync) has been buggy. One specific problem I've noticed: it doesn't reliably place email addresses from my Palm into email address fields in Address Book (hence, when I try to look up an email address using iMail, some aren't showing up, I assume because they aren't being recognized as email addresses). A couple questions:

(1) Where/How do I set the conduit to behave "Palm Overwrites Desktop"? (In my conduit settings, the 'contacts' and 'calendar' entries are missing. The iSync and/or Entourage conduits do no give me options to change the sync behavior)

(2) if I decide to use iCal and Address Book, will Missing Sync improve the syncronization process with those programs? I am not particularly interested in many of Missing Sync's enhanced functionality like iTunes and iPhoto syncing. However, if it would smooth the regular calendar/addresses syncing process, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Thanks...I'll get this settled soon...I hope....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    nguyenhm16nguyenhm16 Posts: 203member
    Palm syncing on OS X is problematic, and by problematic, I mean, sucky. First there's this issue:

http://www.entourage.mvps.org/palm/note/00a.html

Plus, I am finding that on Tiger (10.4.1) I cannot get new addresses to sync to my Treo (in either direction). In fact, .Mac sync seems broken too (I add a contact on one computer, it doesn't show up on the .Mac page or another computer, for example).

Except for the first problem, sync worked perfectly in 10.3.9. Hopefully 10.4.2 will let me sync again.

• Reply 2 of 4
    argeliusargelius Posts: 309member
    I finally bought Missing Sync and it seemed to solve all of my problems.

Sadly, though, I am having some buyer's remorse over my Mac purchase. Finding that so many programs/activities that had worked well on the PC are sucky on the Mac.

I am sure once I find what works on the Mac, I'll become a happy Mac owner. Just didn't think the transition would be this painful...

• Reply 3 of 4
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    It can take a bit of time to find replacement apps for Macs, but they are mostly replaceable.

The Apple site has a long list under Made for Mac. VersionTracker is also a good place to look as it http://osx.hyperjeff.net/Apps/ which has 11,000+ OS X appps.

Personally I have found the fun of a Mac is finding the apps I never would have played with on a PC.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    argeliusargelius Posts: 309member
    Thanks for the words of encouragement and adivce.

Everyday that goes by things get a little easier...