NeoOffice/J

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Anyone using it? Can you give me your opinion of it?

I want to avoid MS Office if I can, but until iWorks comes out with a spreadsheet app, I need to find something to import/export excel docs.

Thanks Ed

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    It's just OpenOffice with native Aqua menus. When I say 'just' I don't mean that no work has been invested in it, but that the bulk of the code comes from OpenOffice.org

OpenOffice.org 2 is going to come out pretty soon, and although they don't have a native OS X version, I'm sure you'll be able to run it using X11, even if to see if it has better compatibility with MS Office then NeoOffice/J which is based on OpenOffice.org 1.1.4 if I'm not mistaken.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I do not really care where it came from, I just want to know how well it works from people who use it.

Thanks Ed
  • Reply 3 of 14
    neiljneilj Posts: 4member
    I've used it.

It's quite slow to load (and to be honest a little slow to use) but providing you're on a reasonable G4 or better you should be OK. It's also not very pretty, as apart from the Aqua menus its interface is identical to the Windows/Linux OpenOffice 1.1.4.

Now the good bits: Its Office compatibility is excellent. It will handle perfectly almost any MS Office file you throw at it (although OO2 is a little better). It's fully featured - it has almost certainly all the features you wish to use (and probably many you don't), often more accessible than in MS Office.

The spreadsheet is very powerful, and if your using iWorks and that's all you need I would certainly give NeoOffice a try (what have you got to lose?). If you don't like it you haven't paid anything.

Neil
  • Reply 4 of 14
    just downloaded it tonight. seems to work pretty well. it's not pretty though.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    I dont like it. They should have based it on the OOo 2.0 beta. That is so much better than 1.4.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    makkemakke Posts: 16member
    Installed it the first day I got my Mac, and at the same time deleted the trial version of MS Office

Since I work for Sun I am used to the StarOffice / OpenOffice suite, and I like it, it suits my needs without having to fork out a few hundred dollars on the MS Office suite.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    You work for Sun? Then you must not be new to ugly apps

all kidding aside, OO2 is much better than 1.1.4
  • Reply 8 of 14
    wingnutwingnut Posts: 197member
    Currently, I can't get IF statements to work properly in NeoOffice. I don't understand why, but if I enter them exactly as I do in Excel, they don't do calculate correctly. Excel has no problems. \

Also, NeoOffice needs help starting up. Even on my PM, it takes ages to open. Any chance that will be improved in the future? Maybe if it was split into separate apps instead of one big app?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    What about Nisus express?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    chipzchipz Posts: 100member
    Neo Office/J is really slow loading. Once it is loaded, it works well. It is really a good alternative to MS Office. Its RC version is still a beta version as far as I am concerned. It needs some work, but shows promise.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    miggs97miggs97 Posts: 87member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wingnut

Currently, I can't get IF statements to work properly in NeoOffice. I don't understand why, but if I enter them exactly as I do in Excel, they don't do calculate correctly. Excel has no problems. \

Also, NeoOffice needs help starting up. Even on my PM, it takes ages to open. Any chance that will be improved in the future? Maybe if it was split into separate apps instead of one big app?

I believe the formula for 'IF THEN' is:

= if ( test ; then_value ; Otherwise_value )

Instead of commas OpenOffice (therefore NeoOffice/J) uses semicolons.

Startup is slow, but because it uses Java it does have the start the virtual machine. And from a cold start on my windows machine (not using quicklaunch) OpenOffice does take some time to load as well.

Ooo 2.0 for NeoOffice is somewhat in development. But I think they're focusing more on native buttons and dialog boxes, plus tackling the Intel transition.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    wingnutwingnut Posts: 197member
    miggs97, I was wondering why that is. The semicolon is definitely a PITA, since all of my spreadsheets were done on Excel 2000 at work. Why did they change the usage? Was it a MS copyright thing?
  • Reply 13 of 14
    miggs97miggs97 Posts: 87member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wingnut

miggs97, I was wondering why that is. The semicolon is definitely a PITA, since all of my spreadsheets were done on Excel 2000 at work. Why did they change the usage? Was it a MS copyright thing?

I think it's a hold over from StarOffice (of which OpenOffice is based). When you open spreadsheets made in Excel (like I do too often), OpenOffice should recognize the commas as semicolons and then covert them back if you save as an .xls file. I don't use a lot of Macros or any VB but everything else seems pretty transparent when moving from Excel to Calc.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    makkemakke Posts: 16member
    Macros from Excel do not go over too well into NeoOffice, or any OpenOffice version, I have experienced this too many times