Possible to assign Stuffit Expander to only SOME files?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Grrrrr....this app has taken over my computer. I still use Stuffit for sitx files, but I'd rather use OS X to expand zip files. So far this seems impossible.

In Stuffit preferences, under the "Expanding" pane, there are only check boxes for groups of file types, so if I want to turn off zip expansion, I must also turn off sitx expansion. Under file mapping, it's easy enough to add a file type to Stuffit's fiefdom, but there is no option for un-assigning files to Stuffit! What the hell?

I like the .sitx format for it's small size, but this app is such an abomination. It reminds me of Microsoft products the way it tries to assimilate the compression/decompression of ALL file types on a system. I'm using Stuffit Deluxe so shouldn't I have "pro" user options? I guess not. Alladin thinks I'm too dumb to make choices about such mysterious matters as file expansion - "Step aside, user, we'll take over now".

Is there a way for Stuffit Expander to peacefully coexist with OS X, or do I have to rip this fucker out of my system? Am I wrong in assuming that OS X CAN expand zip files on the fly without opening any applications, as it does with dmg files?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

Grrrrr....this app has taken over my computer. I still use Stuffit for sitx files, but I'd rather use OS X to expand zip files. So far this seems impossible.

In Stuffit preferences, under the "Expanding" pane, there are only check boxes for groups of file types, so if I want to turn off zip expansion, I must also turn off sitx expansion. Under file mapping, it's easy enough to add a file type to Stuffit's fiefdom, but there is no option for un-assigning files to Stuffit! What the hell?

I like the .sitx format for it's small size, but this app is such an abomination. It reminds me of Microsoft products the way it tries to assimilate the compression/decompression of ALL file types on a system. I'm using Stuffit Deluxe so shouldn't I have "pro" user options? I guess not. Alladin thinks I'm too dumb to make choices about such mysterious matters as file expansion - "Step aside, user, we'll take over now".

Is there a way for Stuffit Expander to peacefully coexist with OS X, or do I have to rip this fucker out of my system? Am I wrong in assuming that OS X CAN expand zip files on the fly without opening any applications, as it does with dmg files?

Huh? To assign the MacOS X built-in unzipping facility to .zip files, do a File > Get Info on a .zip file. Click the Opens With: pop-up menu. Choose BOMArchiveHelper from the list of applications. Then click the Change All... button. This change will affect only .zip files.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Huh? I tried that, but get info doesn't show a BOMArchiveHelper, it only shows StuffIt Expander. I just tried selecting "other" but I have no idea where to find BOMArchiveHelper.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    In 10.3:

/System/Library/CoreServices/BOMArchiveHelper.app
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Thanks Kickaha, you just solved my problem! Now to purge my life of Alladin's pernicious file formats.

Of course I could have just searched for the file, but I guess I was in my angry helpless twit state of mind. Thanks for pulling me out of it.