New continents discovered (Google Maps satellite)

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
So it happened. Google discovered my hangout here on the planet. Lets all do the Google map thing again and show where we live

Here is my place: http://surl.dk/st/ Zoom in and I live on the right side of the north-south street at the right of the picture with a view over the harbour.

Its extremely detailed but some how compressed (in reality the houses have 90 degree corners)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Not enough detail for Edinburgh. You can't spot individual buildings at the highest level of zoom.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    This is me right now. Hi!

http://kh.google.com/kh?v=2&t=tqssrrrsssstqttqtt

(but it's missing the apt. building they've been building next door for the last year or so.--a little outdated.)

--B
  • Reply 3 of 31
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

Not enough detail for Edinburgh. You can't spot individual buildings at the highest level of zoom.

Hmm. Looks like the US military thinks the two bridges on the way to Perth are much more interesting than downtown Edinburgh. Wonder why, hmmmm

By the way, the railroad bridge is still the most beautiful in the world.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Not much for Moosic, PA either. I can see the airport, the turnpike, the interstate, and several bodies of water but that's it. I live somewhat to the right of the smaller lake in the bottom right corner.

Edit: Fixed address. Thanks Splinemodel.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    you guys have to use the "link to this page" option. otherwise, it doesn't seem to work.

Indialantic, FL

Towards the bottom, beachside, just north of the house with the bean shaped pool.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    W. Philly PA...

Smack dab in the middle....
  • Reply 7 of 31
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    BTW remember the last round? Someone spotted a plane landing at an airport and we were amazed about the shutter time of the camera (no visible movement of the plane).

Look here Does that say anything about the camera?
  • Reply 8 of 31
    funkyfunky Posts: 27member
    I live on just above the blurry satellite.

Furzedown, London, SW17

During few pervoius weeks, I have been played with Google Maps satellite a few times and thought that was very good despite they are unable to show most of areas in details area. Look at the sharp details and blurry photos on that link site, that's where I live, just above the blurry photos!

I do hope Google will be able to show all continents in details photos, not blurry ones on the offical release of Google Local website once the "public BETA" of Google Local website are done.

Funky
  • Reply 9 of 31
    voxappsvoxapps Posts: 236member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

BTW remember the last round? Someone spotted a plane landing at an airport and we were amazed about the shutter time of the camera (no visible movement of the plane).

Look here Does that say anything about the camera?

I found another plane, in mid-flight, here. Based on its location and direction (final approach to California's San Jose International), it's at least 1 mile in altitude and probably 250 knots airspeed. I think it's an American Airlines 757, which is 155 feet (47 meters) long.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    You know what I find odd about the photos of london-town, the satellite has to be north of the city in inclination above the equator, this is contrary to almost all other satellite photos I have seen for northern hemisphere countries...
  • Reply 11 of 31
    i have a few views of my domain. Google Map I am first house to the left of the baseball infield.

and these high resolution images are from the Indiana/St.Joe County GIS site. These pictures get very close up, I can see the chairs on our deck. BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING!!!

close

REAL CLOSE!!
  • Reply 12 of 31
    MagicFingers:

I never knew about that site, I am from Goshen, I am attempting to find my house right now. Thanks!
  • Reply 13 of 31
    my house is two streets east of that park

mi casa
  • Reply 14 of 31
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by soulcrusher

my house is two streets east of that park

mi casa

I assume that's Costa Rica and not Durham.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    well, I don't call Duke's campus "home".
  • Reply 16 of 31
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    terraserver image - because google's is horrible

My house is toward the bottom left hand corner...across the street from the church. It has a circle (look like a moon crescent), it's an above ground pool.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Terraserver is interesting, but what's good about google maps is that the interface is humane. You can drag the maps around and get realtime overlays. All that's missing is real-time zoom and trust me, its possible. Sure, I'd like better images and I'm sure we'll get that too, but I much prefer the interactive map over point-and-click maps.

For driving directions I still use MapQuest, but I'll check out my destination using Google Maps first.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

Has anyone seen this huge triangle in the desert at Lake Groom Test Site aka Area 51 ?

What the Figgity-Fuck??

--B
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Anders - I lived right down the road from you (Dalslandsgade) until last month. Great city..
  • Reply 20 of 31
    powermacg6powermacg6 Posts: 123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

What the Figgity-Fuck??

--B