Newbie question: recommendation for photo editing software

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm a mac newbie and am looking for recommendations for digital photo editing software. In my previous life as a Windows guy, I was moderately experienced in photo editing (basic tasks like cropping, enhancing, correcting exposure, etc, as well as more advanced stuff like colorizing, removal of unwanted objects, etc.).

I am looking for something more sophisticated than iPhoto, but nothing as complex (or expensive!) as Photoshop. I am currently evaluating Adobe Photoshop Elements 3 (which I used on my PC).

Just curious if there are any other photo editing programs I should try out. Hopefully there are some that are designed specifically for Macs.

(On an unrelated note, I guess I'm having minor buyers remorse as I find the Mac versions of programs I used to rely on -- like Quicken and Entourage/Outlook are pretty crappy on Mac. I know this feeling will pass once I get all accustomed to my new life with Apple...)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    First, welcome to Mac!

Second...

Check out the shreware program GraphicConverter and see if it meets your needs (it's only $30), although I think Photoshop Elements is the way to go.

By the way, Versiontracker is a great way to find software.

Also, there are alternatives to Quicken, such as MYOB. I used to use Outlook Express, and then Entourage after that, but then I moved to Apple Mail years ago and haven't looked back since.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    argeliusargelius Posts: 309member
    Thanks for your thoughts. I've already grown fond of iMail, iCal and AddressBook. I was used to using one program instead of three. But Mac makes it easy to use all of them, so I think I'll happily abandon Entourage.

I guess that's one difference between Mac and Windows -- the built-in apps in Windows suck, so I just assumed Entourage would be better... I still like Firefox better than Safari, though.

I'll check out your software recommendations.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Argelius

I guess that's one difference between Mac and Windows -- the built-in apps in Windows suck, so I just assumed Entourage would be better... I still like Firefox better than Safari, though.

You might also be interested in this app , which utilizes Mail, Address Book and iCal all from one program.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    the differences between photoshop elements 2.0 and 3.0 are minor and you can pick up a used copy of 2.0 on ebay for under $20. that's what i recommend