Widget Manager planned for Mac OS X 10.4.2

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
In addition to a more secure widget installation processor, Mac OS X 10.4.2 is expected to deliver a completely new Widget Manager that will make it easier for Mac OS X Tiger users to manage the growing number of Dashboard widgets being made available through Apple's website.

According to sources and reports already present on Mac-centric websites, Apple included the new Dashboard feature in build 8C40 of Mac OS X 10.4.2, which it distributed to thousands of developers late Friday evening.

In this latest build, the "More Widgets" button located to the far right of the Dashboard dock has been renamed "Manage Widgets." Instead of scrolling the dock to reveal the next dozen or so widgets installed on the user's system, the function launches a completely new widget manager that itself resembles a widget.

The re-sizable manager appears long and narrow by default and is adorned in the same aluminum motif as the Dashboard dock, sources said. Inside the body of the Widget Manager is a scrollable list of widgets installed on the user's system. Users can toggle each widget on or off by selecting a checkbox located to the left of each widget.

Similarly, on the right side of each third-party widget listing is a circular red icon that allows users to easily delete the widget. When selecting this option, a semi-translucent overlay appears within the Widget Manager, asking the user to confirm that he or she wishes to move the widget to the trash.

From within the Widget Manager, users also have access to a single menu -- located at the top of the manager -- that will sort the widget listings by name or date. The menu also reportedly includes an option to sort widgets based on whether they are enabled or not.

In response to security concerns associated with potentially malicious widgets, earlier builds of Mac OS X 10.4.2 included a Widget Installer that let users "Test Drive" newly downloaded widgets in a self-contained installer window without having to first install them in the Dashboard. According to sources, the latest build of Mac OS X 10.4.2 now incorporates this functionality into the Dashboard interface.

Sources say newly downloaded widgets are launched into a semi-translucent Dashboard container, where they can be taken for a test spin. Users can then choose to "Delete" or "Keep" the widgets.

While the latest build of Mac OS X 10.4.2 continues to list no known bugs, over a half dozen new bug fixes were reportedly included in the distribution. These fixes are rumored to address issues with AirPorts, inherit file system permissions, iTunes artwork display, and widget graphics. The build also reportedly improves Screen Saver image resolution on certain G4 iMacs, eMacs, PowerBooks and iBooks.

Sources maintain that Apple could release Mac OS X 10.4.2 any day now, but claim the company will not do so until it believes it has squashed every bug known to be lingering in the system.

Upon its completion, the Mac OS X 10.4.2 Update is expected to make its way onto optical media and into retail copies of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    somynonasomynona Posts: 40member
    Any news on Quartz 2D Extreme? On or off by default?
  • Reply 2 of 36
    Off from reports I have read.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    scotty321scotty321 Posts: 313member
    Does anybody know if 10.4.2 fixes the Dashboard Widget bug where Apple's widgets are not readable because they conflict with Adobe's Helvetica Neue font?
  • Reply 4 of 36
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Now this gets interesting. I mean, it is me or Apple for the first time in OS X history alters substantially (at feature-level) the system with a point release?
  • Reply 5 of 36
    alex_kacalex_kac Posts: 58member
    No, they've done that quite a few times. More so in the 10.1.x release timeframe. I think 10.1.5 contained some major Carbon changes with fonts. And then there was journaling added in 10.2.6 or something like that.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    You're right that adding "highly visible" functionality in a free release is rare (not unheard of though)--and it's great to see it happen!

10.4.2 is definitely the one I've been waiting for. I'll be on Tiger soon!
  • Reply 7 of 36
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alex_kac

No, they've done that quite a few times. More so in the 10.1.x release timeframe. I think 10.1.5 contained some major Carbon changes with fonts. And then there was journaling added in 10.2.6 or something like that.

Well, yes, but I am talking about very visible, to the average user, changes that will affect the way he interacts with the computer. Perhaps not unheard of, but I don't remember something similar.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    This is great news. I have hated the wait for this patch given how painfully buggy Tiger is, but if Apple truly has nailed most of the disgraceful bugs in Tiger, the wait will have been worth it.

I guess this just proves that Apple really needed the "first half of the year" to release Tiger. Given the lack of product releases, I guess Apple needed the revenue this quarter.

Oh, well, we got to play with a beta of Tiger. And Apple will hit their numbers. As long as .2 is everything we hope in terms of bug fixes, I will be happy.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

the company will not do so until it believes it has squashed every bug known to be lingering in the system.

That's the second time recently that I've read a ridiculous statement like this from AI. Can we stop it?

AppleMatt
  • Reply 10 of 36
    macnut222macnut222 Posts: 100member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleMatt

That's the second time recently that I've read a ridiculous statement like this from AI. Can we stop it?

AppleMatt

I don't think AI is referring to every bug per se, but rather the bugs that couldn't be squashed in time for the original 10.4 release (as well as any new bugs that were found). I think you, AI and many others know that it's near impossible fix every bug in an OS.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    What about Verison or T-Mobile. (T-Mobile isnt as likely as Verison) Cingular is good, but I already have T-Mobile so it would be esy to just switch my number right over. Also, Is they Phone compatible with Address Book and iCal?

-Wes

PS- Can people stop calling it the iPhone? It is NOT made by Apple, its just a Moto phone with iTunes Software.

PS2- Wheres the Moto Razr iTunes phone????

OOPS! This post was posted in the wrong thread. I have copied it into the correct one.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by w_parietti22

PS2- Wheres the Moto Razr iTunes phone????

Now THAT would get me to open my checkbook.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    mat79mat79 Posts: 40member
    will this include a widget update manager?

(its really annoyning if i have to check manually when a widget is updated)
  • Reply 14 of 36
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mat79

will this include a widget update manager?

(its really annoyning if i have to check manually when a widget is updated)

The problem is they information then has to be included in the widget. This would require a re-write. Unless Apple worked out the name and checked that way - I think it'll be the same as applications. Some can update themselves some require manual checking. Subscribe to the Dashboard Developer RSS feed if you want updates. I do agree an update manager would be nice.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    kwsanderskwsanders Posts: 327member
    The widget installer functionality sounds like a very useful feature to be able to "test drive" a widget before installing it. Hopefully it remains in the final build.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by BWhaler

This is great news. I have hated the wait for this patch given how painfully buggy Tiger is, but if Apple truly has nailed most of the disgraceful bugs in Tiger, the wait will have been worth it.

I guess this just proves that Apple really needed the "first half of the year" to release Tiger. Given the lack of product releases, I guess Apple needed the revenue this quarter.

Oh, well, we got to play with a beta of Tiger. And Apple will hit their numbers. As long as .2 is everything we hope in terms of bug fixes, I will be happy.

I've not experienced a single bug in Tiger and i've been running it since it came out. I think its a great ".0" release.

The only problem i've had is with the translation widget, which doesnt work for me.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    There are several Widget Managers out in the wild now.

As a Widget:

also found with longer version history here

or what started as an App, now available as a System Prefs Pane
  • Reply 18 of 36
    I just came up with a badass idea for a Dashboard update - Apple should utilize Exposé features to add an "Arrange Widgets" feature. It's a pain to rearrange my widgets whenever I want to add some new one that takes up more space than the others.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    I downloaded the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy Widget last night. It's just

as I remembered when I was a kid. The only problem is that it won't allow

me to save the game. When I type "save" a window opens behind it on my

desktop to save to my documents folder. I give it a name & save but it doesn't

show up in my documents folder. Then when I click the game again, it said

that the save failed & it won't allow me to type anything else.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Any solutions?
  • Reply 20 of 36
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Now this gets interesting. I mean, it is me or Apple for the first time in OS X history alters substantially (at feature-level) the system with a point release?

Well, they had to do something, since they obviously shipped the OS before it was truly ready for release. But when you release based on $$ instead of "its solid", you're going to get visual updates afterwards as they add in the pieces that didn't make the original cut.

Or Steve was just an idiot thinking "Why would anyone want to remove a widget?" Of course, they also don't see why anyone would want to turn off dashboard completely, or, for that matter, spotlight. Or that maybe they should spend a couple of months just working on the interface of their included apps so they're all, I don't know, consistent (how many different types of windows and buttons can these idiots put together?). Or that people actually liked the System preferences interface previously (hey, how about putting back the freakin' toolbar so I don't have to keep searching for the few panels I use all the time over and over and over again - geesh, stupid breaking stuff that worked).

Of course, I would just like it if I could figure out how to specify a default list view, as everytime I try fixing the column widths, the view options change to 'this window only', and when I change it to "all windows", the widths keep changing back. And then the 'calculate folder sizes' never stays turned on, either. And changing privileges on a directory is just not working right (how hard is it to get it so I don't have to be logged into the system as an administrator to see some files). Oh, and I noticed yesterday that changing the size of columns is now all hit and miss because Apple doesn't change the mouse cursor to the 'left-right arrows' cursor until you click, so you don't know whether you're close enough to resize columns, or are going to be in 'move column' mode.

But fixing all these would mean Apple actually cared what their users thought, and making sure the software worked consistently and easily, which seems beyond them. Its all about glitz, who cares about actually functionality.