Importing clipart into Office 2004 via Firefox -- help!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I am a new Mac user and am attemptiong to import clip art from the Microsoft Website (via Firefox).

Evidently, you need to associate the file type ".cll" with the browser in order for it to open and allow it to be read in the Office application. Unfortunately, I don't know how to do this.

The online help topic (from M$) doesn't mention Firefox, but gives instruction for IE and Netscape. The Netscape instructions are below, but I cant figure out if this is something I can do with Firefox...

=======

To configure Netscape Navigator to open clips on Mac OS X

1. Start Netscape Navigator version 6.0 or later.

2. On the Netscape menu, click Preferences.

3. Click Navigator, and then click Helper Applications.

4. Click New Type, and then type the following information:

Description of type: Clip Art and Media File

File extension: .cil

MIME Type: application/vnd.ms-artgalry

5. Click Choose and browse for the Microsoft Clip Gallery program, usually located in the Office folder under your Microsoft Office installation folder. Click Open, and then click OK.

6. In the Preferences dialog box, click OK.

7. Close Netscape Navigator, and then restart it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Argelius

I am a new Mac user and am attemptiong to import clip art from the Microsoft Website (via Firefox).

Evidently, you need to associate the file type ".cll" with the browser in order for it to open and allow it to be read in the Office application. Unfortunately, I don't know how to do this.

The online help topic (from M$) doesn't mention Firefox, but gives instruction for IE and Netscape. The Netscape instructions are below, but I cant figure out if this is something I can do with Firefox...

=======

To configure Netscape Navigator to open clips on Mac OS X

1. Start Netscape Navigator version 6.0 or later.

2. On the Netscape menu, click Preferences.

3. Click Navigator, and then click Helper Applications.

4. Click New Type, and then type the following information:

Description of type: Clip Art and Media File

File extension: .cil

MIME Type: application/vnd.ms-artgalry

5. Click Choose and browse for the Microsoft Clip Gallery program, usually located in the Office folder under your Microsoft Office installation folder. Click Open, and then click OK.

6. In the Preferences dialog box, click OK.

7. Close Netscape Navigator, and then restart it.

Why don't you just download the files directly to the the clipart location? You may also download the clipart to your favorite download location and move it to the proper location later. I mean, why is it important to you to view the clipart within FireFox?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    argeliusargelius Posts: 309member
    I may be missing something, but I think there is some required interaction between the browser and MS Office, since if you download the file (like to the desktop), Office still wont open it....
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

I may be missing something, but I think there is some required interaction between the browser and MS Office, since if you download the file (like to the desktop), Office still wont open it....

You can always open the file after you download it. Clipart is intended to be acquired once and used many times. You certainly can't use it while you are downloading it.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    I know what you are saying. However, when I download the clipart file and save it to the desktop (or wherever), if I then open it I get the message, "Clip Gallery can only be launched from Office." If I save the clip to my desktop and then click on "import" from the Clip Art Gallery from within Word (or Excel), the same error message occurs.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

I know what you are saying. However, when I download the clipart file and save it to the desktop (or wherever), if I then open it I get the message, "Clip Gallery can only be launched from Office." If I save the clip to my desktop and then click on "import" from the Clip Art Gallery from within Word (or Excel), the same error message occurs.

Learn how to navigate your file system. It's easy. Nested within your Office 2004 folder is a clipart folder. Place your clipart there and you will be fine.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Thanks...will give that a try...
  • Reply 7 of 8
    In the Import dialog box, select Microsoft Online files from the Enable drop down menu. This will allow .cil files to be recognized.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    dpgdpg Posts: 1member
    These suggestions are all helpful but simply placing the newly downloaded clip art file from MS's web site into the clip art folder (in the Office 2004 folder) isn't enough. Here's what worked for me: I found my newly-downloaded ClipArt file in the Finder, moved it from Desktop to the clipart folder in the Office 2004 folder. Then I renamed it "babygraphics" or whatever and added the .cil extension to the name manually. Then I was able to double-click the "babygraphics.cil" icon and have it recognized. I selected the new graphic of a baby I had just downloaded and dragged it into my Word file.

Hope that helps. The importing stuff didn't work for me, either.