Installing Tiger on a 450MHz Cube

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey there,

I have a Cube with a 450Mhz G4 and 320Mb RAM. It's currently running 10.2.8, can I expect a speed increase or decrease installing Tiger? I´m mostly concerned of not having enough RAM, I have the feeling that both 10.3 and 10.4 are more RAM intensive.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

/Jan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ricksbrainricksbrain Posts: 517member
    Well, I put Tiger on a 400Mhz iMac DV with about the same ammount of RAM, I think, and it runs fine. Not exactly a speed demon, but it works.

I used to have 700+ RAM, but one stick died-- would expect that more RAM would have sped things up considerably.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Hey Rick, thx for the quick reply. What version were you running before? did you notice a speed increase/hit when upgrading?

Thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    ricksbrainricksbrain Posts: 517member
    I had Panther on it-- which was great, surprisingly to me. I had lent the computer out for quite a while and installed Tiger immediately after getting it back. It's my switch machine. People fall in love, then buy their own. Anyway, I don't have a great feel for the difference, but they're pretty equivalent.

I do sometimes think about it being kinda' slow-- only because when installing it my TiBook, the powerbook got faster overall. The iMac, at least, didn't get faster.

Again, I think it's a RAM thing, though. Hope this helps.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    spiers69spiers69 Posts: 418member
    my friend and i both noticed a speed decrease from OS 10.3.8 to 10.4.

But when i use his computer i've got no idea what his whinging about, it's way faster than mine.

Again it's all down to RAM.

His comp. (640mb) vs mine (256mb)

(1Ghz) vs (1.8Ghz)
  • Reply 5 of 5
    chopper3chopper3 Posts: 293member
    I run 10.4.1 Server on my 450 cube, it's fine, does the job I want of it anyway.