upgrading a G3 iMac.. how far can you go?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
hey all,

im still looking at 2nd hand Macs (im sure some of you must be getting tired of my threads!)... id love to get some kind of G4 that is 600+MHz, but i just dont think i can quite stretch the budget that far.

Soooo... im looking back at a 600MHz G3 iMac. What i want to know is, assuming i get some more dough later on, how much can the CPU be upgraded? Could i actually get a G4 chip installed later on?

Would it worth my time/money?

Regardless of what i get, im sure i'll end up having to increase the ram, (to around 700mb) and i think i'll get a 160GB ext. HD. The main question is just down to the CPU (obviously the longer i procrastinate, the more prices decrease , but i dont know how long i can wait - the only thing stopping me now is a general lack of cash).

Your thoughts/experiences/opinion thanks?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I don't know what your budget is but this can't be too far out your range, and it will smoke any iMac G3 in performace and future expansion.

or even this one
  • Reply 2 of 3
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    I'd recommend a low-level G4 (400 - 500MHz) rather than a G3 if you can afford it. You can find some really good stuff here.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    exhibit_13exhibit_13 Posts: 110member
    having taken apart G3 imacs several times, i'll tell you that upgrading the CPU won't be easy. i'm sure it can be done, but so many parts have to be switched out/removed that it hardly seems worth it. i would say that the best you can upgrade is the hard drive, optical drive, and RAM. i would personally upgrade the internal hard drive rather than go for an external one, unless you are looking for portability. if you get an internal drive, you don't have to worry about transfer rates over firewire and the like, and it frees up desk space, if that matters. but if you're looking for the ability to connect to several computers, go ahead with the external. also, you can find after-market "superdrives" to install for pretty cheap. if i had money, i'd probably get one for my G3 imac. and RAM is pretty cheap, too. just go to best buy or circuit city and buy some pc 100/133 RAM and pop it in, should be no problem.

and if you have a 600 mhz g3 in there, you'll survive for a little while longer at least. i'm still using a 450 mhz g3, and its doing ok. it gets pokey, but i run 10.3.9 and use photoshop, ilife, aim, etc and it works just fine (besides garageband and idvd... i'm having problems with them, but you might have more luck). if you're just looking for a cheap secondary machine, it should be relatively speedy (for a g3) and capable with a few minor upgrades.