Please help Windows User decide...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am in desperate need of help. I am a lifelong PC user that doesn't like the bloatware installed on pcs, lack of security, and unstability. I just purchased a 12" Powerbook 1.5ghz and a HP AMD 64 3500+ desktop machine w/ 17" lcd. I could also return both and get the low end iMac 1.8ghz 17". I am stuck between the two and can only afford one (the same price). I have them sitting by my couch in the living room and do not need portability other than it would look better out there. For me it really comes down to which is better I guess, powerfull PC or MacOS X. Here are my pros and cons of each, please help me decide what to keep! I know it's a personal choice but I cannot decide what to do. Please...

I mainly do web surfing, office productivity, quicken, etc. I will do a little editing of our wedding video but that is it. I need it to last a couple of years as well.

Mac (powerbook 12")

OSX

iLife

No crap preinstalled

stability

security

PC

Power

better 17" screen

expandable/upgradeable

more storage, etc.

more software/accessories

or there is the 17" iMac as well, more power than Powerbook but less than PC.

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Return both and go with the iMac. You get everything from the software side that you get with the iBook while coming pretty close to what you get powerwise with the AMD. Best of both worlds.

Oh, and don't worry about the expandability of the iMac or the storage. Unless you're a power user, you know, someone who's job revolves around computers (graphics designer, music producer, etc.) or an audiophile, you won't really need to upgrade your computer nor will you use up the hard drive. Sure, the iMac can't be overhauled like a PC, but the only thing it sounds like you'll ever need to upgrade is the RAM, which is as easy as it gets.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I vote for iMac.

I have a 20" 1.8 Ghz 1st gen.

I recently bumped my ram to 1.5 GB and replaced my 160 GB hdd to a 300 GB seagate. I fill 'em up fast anymore. I am waiting for the 500 GB drives to hit the shelves so I can increase my storage one more time.

I also replaced my Super Drive with a dual layer drive. It is simple to upgrade the thing.

The iMac is great PC desktop replacement. I was once a guy like you, but made the switch back in 11/04. I bought the iMac first and love it.

Quote:

Originally posted by yankeefan22988

Return both and go with the iMac. You get everything from the software side that you get with the iBook while coming pretty close to what you get powerwise with the AMD. Best of both worlds.

Oh, and don't worry about the expandability of the iMac or the storage. Unless you're a power user, you know, someone who's job revolves around computers (graphics designer, music producer, etc.) or an audiophile, you won't really need to upgrade your computer nor will you use up the hard drive. Sure, the iMac can't be overhauled like a PC, but the only thing it sounds like you'll ever need to upgrade is the RAM, which is as easy as it gets.

• Reply 3 of 4
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:

I am a lifelong PC user that doesn't like the bloatware installed on pcs, lack of security, and unstability. I just purchased a 12" Powerbook 1.5ghz and a HP AMD 64 3500+ desktop machine w/ 17" lcd.

Hmm... I completely agree with you. If I bought an HP PC desktop I would also worry about bloatware and stability. That is why I always build my own.

Get rid of the HP and stay with a MAC.

If you really want to see what a good PC desktop looks like, get one from a small high quality company such as Falcon Northwest.

And don't kid yourself. Macs also have stability issues aplenty. Just look around these boards.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    What ever unit you get, get a gig of ram...I love my mac but with 512, I am choaking it to death when I get iTunes, safari, word, preview, mail, iChat and a couple of widgets (usualy wikipedia and foxtrot) up at once...buy your ram after market from somewhere like newegg.com or crucial.com and upgrade yourself (or pay the neighborhood geek to do it for you).