A couple troubling issues w/ my new iMac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
The info. I had on my stickie notes on widget were deleted! Not sure what happened, all I did was shut-down the computer. I had 3 stickies and the info. on all 3 were wiped out. Perhaps it's a widget issue.

A more troubling issue I had just now was I could not log into the computer. The iMac was in sleep mode and the power went down earlier today. So when I started the iMac up, I entered my password. But the system would not log in. I almost called Applecare, but I decided to shut it down (turn the power off my power bar) and unplug the computer. That apparently did the trick. There's got to be a safer way to reboot or shutdown when my iMac is stuck/frozen.

Note: this is my first Mac, and I just got it last month. So don't mind me if I ask some silly questions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Have you tried holding the power button for more than 4 seconds? That usually does the trick.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    c2poonc2poon Posts: 38member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Have you tried holding the power button for more than 4 seconds? That usually does the trick.

Thanks for the tip.

I found some more problems though: since the power outtage while the iMac was in sleep mode, the widgets have all reseted to default, and all my bookmarks for Firefox are lost! That's not too cool, as the integrity of the data should be more stable than this.

Anyone else have ideas/thoughts?

Thank you.