Help me -- I'm looking to buy a laptop...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was planning on getting a 12" iBook, but I keep reading rumors that a new generation may be released fairly soon. I would use it for graduate school starting in late August, so should I wait another month? If I do get one, I was going to bump it up to 768 MB of RAM and bump up the hard drive to 60 -- maybe it would make more sense to just get a PowerBook?

I don't do a lot of graphics-intensive stuff, but I plan on keeping the computer for three, four, maybe five years, so maybe the extra power is worth the money.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    jms698jms698 Posts: 102member
    I doubt the pending update will be anything significant. Probably just a speedbump and a few small new features. I would however wait 2 more weeks because an iBook update seems to be looming.

As for the iBook vs. Powerbook. Personally, I would get a powerbook, because of the lighter weight. I'm not too concerned about the battery life or slightly more expensive price.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I got the 12" iBook back in February and love it. Yeah, it weighs a touch more than a PB but compared to my 17 Dell M60, it is a feather.

As far as processor power, the only big differences I have seen between my iMac G5 and my iBook is rendering. It is really hard to tell a performance difference writing papers and sending email between the two.

If you can wait, wait. Why buy now when you can wait 30 days. Or buy now so in 30 days it seems that you have had it forever and you don't feel so bad if an update comes out.

I got the big HDD and stuck a 1 GB ram chip in there. Works great and the battery life is awesome.

The only thing I wish it had was a DVD burner but you can add those aftermarket although I would have a tech do that because of the gazillion screws you have to remove.