System Update crashing in Tiger

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Not much more to say... yesterday, I manually started System Update to see if the iTunes/iPod updates were available. It starts, the progress bar moves and then it crashes.

Were the Apple's servers overloaded or is there another problem? Is there anything I can do to further diagnose this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I'm getting that also, but only when I try to run it in the background. If it's in front, it runs fine.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikef

Not much more to say... yesterday, I manually started System Update to see if the iTunes/iPod updates were available. It starts, the progress bar moves and then it crashes.

Were the Apple's servers overloaded or is there another problem? Is there anything I can do to further diagnose this?

/Library/Logs/Software Update.Log - double click that and see if it says anything. Note that this is "YourHardDriveName/Library", not "/Users/YourName/Library".
  • Reply 3 of 5
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

/Library/Logs/Software Update.Log - double click that and see if it says anything. Note that this is "YourHardDriveName/Library", not "/Users/YourName/Library".

Hmmm... the log seems very terse:

Code:

2005-05-16 21:48:08 -0400: Installed "iTunes" (4.8)

2005-05-16 21:49:51 -0400: Installed "Mac OS X Update" (10.4.1)

2005-06-10 22:20:17 -0400: Installed "QuickTime" (7.0.1)

2005-06-10 22:21:08 -0400: Installed "Security Update 2005-006" (1.0)

Any other places where I might see what happened? Thanks.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    If it put up the crash dialog when it crashed, that means that the crashreporter app may have made a log.

That's in Console.app, scan through its File menu under "Open Quickly" and see if any of the locations contain something relating to SW Update.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    I found something useful!

~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Software Update.crash.log

It crashed in a thread that appears to parse the SU catalog. My guess is that the server was overloaded, I got a partial catalog/catalog entry for iTunes 4.9 and the parser got messed up.

I manually installed iTunes 4.9 and now Software Update seems to work again. Not sure if this was concidence, but either way there appears to be a bug.

Thanks for your help.