Existing Motorola handsets talking to iTunes 4.9 (image)

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The first Motorola cell phone built specifically for iTunes may still be a few weeks away, but in the interim iTunes users have discovered that some of the company's existing handsets are already willing to communicate with the latest version of Apple's jukebox software.

iTunes talking to existing phones

Specifically, it appears that iTunes 4.9 is happy to recognize certain flash-memory enabled Motorola phones as an 'iPod phone." When one AppleInsider tipster connected his Motorola cellphone to his PowerBook he was taken back as iTunes 4.9 automatically launched and prompted him to provide a name for the phone.

After a name was provided, the phone registered itself in the main iTunes window below the iTunes Music Store icon, the tipster said. He was then able to transfer a number of music tracks to the phone and access the iTunes "iPod Phone" preference dialog (shown below).

Based on the preference dialog, it appears that users of an iTunes compatible phone will be able to view album art on the phone. They'll also be able to choose how much flash-memory space should be reserved for music tracks verses data.

The wait could drag on

So what's holding up the unveiling of the first official Motorola iTunes phone? It could be standard Cingular quality assurance procedures.

According to sources close to the wireless carrier, once Cingular agrees to carry a new handset it must then be manufactured specifically for the carrier. This first requires that the handset's software be tailored to Cingular's network equipment and settings -- a process that could take weeks.

Next, sources say that Cingular traditionally performs a series of extensive in-house quality assurance test before allowing the phone to hit the market. Again, this process could tag on a few more weeks, sources say. Whether or not these processes have begun remains unknown.

While Cingular does have plans to roll-out support for a brand new Motorola phone in the immediate future, it may not be the one some are expecting. Cingular sources say a black-skinned Motorola RAZR phone will likely precede the ROKR (iTunes) phone, if only by a matter of weeks.

Motorola recently stated that it is on track to ship its first iTunes compatible phone during the third quarter of 2005, which begins tomorrow.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    Does anybody find it funny that the pixels around the text are different than the normal pixels?
  • Reply 2 of 38
    I was thinking that was just because of the low quality of the image (to save bandwidth no doubt).

It would be nice to have a phone that truly integrates with iSync (hopefully).. iTunes I'm not sure about.. it might replace me buying a shuffle..
  • Reply 3 of 38
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Originally posted by w_parietti22

Does anybody find it funny that the pixels around the text are different than the normal pixels?

Sorry guys, it's just compressed. We serve several GB of data each day and it becomes costly. You can see the dialog template corresponding to the screenshot by opening the iTunes 4.9 English "Localized.rsrc" file in an editor and viewing DITL resource #265 "iPod Phone Prefs."

Cheers,

Kasper
  • Reply 4 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by canadianmacguy

I was thinking that was just because of the low quality of the image (to save bandwidth no doubt).

It would be nice to have a phone that truly integrates with iSync (hopefully).. iTunes I'm not sure about.. it might replace me buying a shuffle..

Hmmm... But if you look very very closely the lined background stops just before the text and starts right after. also if you look very closely at the iPod Phone symbol theres a line going down on the left.

Im not saying that this is fake, but it loks like this was added to itunes.

Thats cool that there might be a Razr iTunes Phone. I might just have to save up for one of those!!!
  • Reply 5 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kasper

Sorry guys, it's just compressed. We serve several GB of data each day and it becomes costly. You can see the dialog template corresponding to the screenshot by opening the iTunes 4.9 English "Localized.rsrc" file in an editor and viewing DITL resource #265 "iPod Phone Prefs."

Cheers,

Kasper

Thanks for clearing that up Kasper
  • Reply 6 of 38
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by w_parietti22

Oh, its got to be completely fake. I can't imagine Apple is advertising AppleInsider.com by splashing their name all over their dialogs. I mean, let's get serious here!!!
  • Reply 7 of 38
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Oh, its got to be completely fake. I can't imagine Apple is advertising AppleInsider.com by splashing their name all over their dialogs. I mean, let's get serious here!!!

• Reply 8 of 38
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    FAKE

It will not be called iPod phone if the handset is called "roker" or whatever. I could see iTunes Phone or iTunes mobile but not iPod phone because it is not an iPod, it is a phone with a mobile version of iTunes/iTms
  • Reply 9 of 38
    skirwanskirwan Posts: 9member
    Faking that screenshot would be phenomenally trivial.

The fact that the labels on the slider haven't been changed from the DITL resource (555MB?!) is also suspicious. Combined with the complete lack of detail (which phone? would the songs play?), I really don't see why this got posted.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    bobbagumbobbagum Posts: 68member
    To see the icon for the Phone in iTunes Pref, open up the preference box and switch your screen colour depth to 256, the Podcast pref pane will now have an icon of what appears to be a RAZR phone (Sorry if this has already been covered before)
  • Reply 11 of 38
    The post is just stating that 4.9 already talks to other Motorola phones. But, I have to slightly agree with the complaint of Skirwan, what was the final outcome? Anything else?

Anyone try bluetooth recognition?

A non-Motorola phone?

I pulled the iTunesLocalized.dll file up on my windows PC in notepad and did a seach for "p h o n e". The following lines are in the file.

1. Setup Phone

2. Phone:

3. No Phone Connected:

4. Open iTunes when this mobile phone is attached

5. Diplay album artwork on this mobile phone

6. Set up your mobile phone

7. The name of my mobile phone is:

8. Automatically choose songs for my mobile phone

9. iTunes will automatically fill your mobile phone with a random selection of songs from your library. You may fill your mobile phone with a different selection of songs by pressing Autofill in the mobile phone playlist.

As stated by Kasper, that should confirm the screenshot.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    I like bluetooth with contacts and addressbook. That is sensible. But I don't see what iTunes can do with a phone? Are you going to call the song? Is it going to play through the small speaker? I could imagine the clipping and distortion effects.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    rdas7rdas7 Posts: 32member
    I tried it with my e398 but it doesn't seem to do anything... anyone know if we'll need latest firmware or something? All of you guys screaming fake, learn about jpeg compression (for starters) then engage brain. Apple aren't gonna enter the handset market, new stuff comes out every day. An iPod phone would be obsolete before the press conference was over. What is revolutionary about this is that you turn *any* mobile phone (of minimum spec) into an iPod, hook people into iTunes, and the iTunes Music Store... the lineup would be: PHONE > SHUFFLE > MINI > IPOD, the mobile phone being the smallest capacity... think using it for syncing podcasts, if not entire playlists. People said the 512MB shuffle wouldn't work out - it's Apple's biggest seller!
  • Reply 14 of 38
    rdas7 - You have an excellent point with podcasts... I just started listening to Science Friday thanks to an iTunes introduction. I was glad to see an NPR show on iTunes even if it wasn't officially through NPR deal with iTMS. I don't carry my ipod everywhere; but, I do my phone. This, podcasts, would be a great use for an iTunes ready phone.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    skirwanskirwan Posts: 9member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rdas7

All of you guys screaming fake, learn about jpeg compression (for starters) then engage brain.

There's nothing I like more than being condescended by someone who doesn't know what he's talking about.

Yes, there's an iTunes-compatible phone coming 'soon'. Yes, that is exactly what the preference pane for it will look like (aside from the obvious problems with the placeholder numeric values). This was '*confirmed!*' the moment iTunes 4.9 came out, as anyone with ResEdit can verify.

It is extraordinarily unlikely that the phone you have now will become 'iTunes compatible'. Aside from the clear support and compatibility issues, most phones just lack the necessary hardware. I suppose there's an outside possibility of Apple allowing you to sync your MP3 phone with iTunes, but you certainly wouldn't be able to play any iTMS music.

I stand by my assessment: this 'report' is a poorly-perpetrated fraud.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    celebi23celebi23 Posts: 23member

Proof of the image. Stuff I found in iTunes
  • Reply 17 of 38
    rdas7rdas7 Posts: 32member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Skirwan

There's nothing I like more than being condescended by someone who doesn't know what he's talking about.

My apologies, Skirwan - sometimes I can get a little carried away. What I simply meant was that when I logged in and saw this report, I immediately opened the forums to see what people were saying and all I saw was petty arguing about the pixelation artifacts around the icons being proof that the whole report was a scam. I thought: come on guys, let's have a little thought engaged before dismissing something out of hand.

Quote:

It is extraordinarily unlikely that the phone you have now will become 'iTunes compatible'. Aside from the clear support and compatibility issues, most phones just lack the necessary hardware.

Now this I understand as being people's main argument for Apple developing some proprietary solution. HOWEVER, I'd like to note that the type of phones common in the US today are roughly one generation behind those being sold in the rest of the world. In fact, ALL of Nokia's current mid-range and hi-level lineup are mp3 and aac capable. Ditto with motorola (RAZR,SLVR, PEBL, etc.) and Sony Ericson (the old K700 and above).

The problem with these phones at the moment, is that while the hardware is very capable, there is no decent software. My Motorola e398 has an mp3 player and expandible memory to 256MB, my girlfriend's Nokia can hold up to 1GB internally (hello Shuffle?!). Unfortunately the J2ME (Java) mp3 player APPLICATION is so rudimentary that you can't adequatly even fast forward a track. I mean, if this mp3 player software app was available on MacUpdate it would get ONE star and a hundred people slating the developer's mother!

So, in this scenario, the software platform for mobile phones is open for someone like Apple to come in and start offering solutions for. If Apple were to release a compelling piece of software to install on handsets of a "minimum spec" it would have several results:

1.) everyone would be keen to download and install it, to enable features that they paid for in a phone, but are finding difficult to use.

2.) drive the demand for next-gen phones, as people with old phones like the SE T610's and below would want to update their phones.

3.) tie people into using iTunes/iTunes Music Store

Quote:

I suppose there's an outside possibility of Apple allowing you to sync your MP3 phone with iTunes, but you certainly wouldn't be able to play any iTMS music.

I don't understand where your pessimism comes from. If they can write their own Java mp3 player (basically modifying the current built-in ones) why wouldn't they enable DRM? It's basically a little bit of code that processes the header or "wrapper" for any of their m4p files... Hence why DRM enabled music would only play through the iTunes Mobile app... heck, according to that preference pane, it looks like you'll be able to downsample files to! If they could do it in a Shuffle, why not a mobile phone?

Quote:

I stand by my assessment: this 'report' is a poorly-perpetrated fraud.

I respect your point of view, I'm just not clear on what you base it on.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Hillarious... a newbie death match.

Fight!

I assume that we'll see an update to iTunes when iPhones are finally introduced. While the current version has support built in already, I suspect that this is there simply because taking it out would require a seperate build tree for features which are soon to be released anyway. Its much easier to include all the features and simply remove one icon from the preference toolbar.

If nothing else, they'll fix the incorrect icon which gets displayed when switching to 8bit color. I've made that error myself when working with numerous images at multiple bit depths. It's easy to copy the wrong image and developers aren't running in 256 colors so it simply went unnoticed.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    death87death87 Posts: 7member
    So you can read here my reaction in mac4ever, I talk about Apple Insider who "stolen" the news of World So Cold, and re-use it for their account without quoted World So Cold, they use his screenshoot too, ok they not seems the same because they modified them, but we can see a mistake on WSC screenshot and we re-find the same mistake on Apple Insider screenshot. We can see "Audio" at the top of preference dialog box, normally we should see "iPod Phone"

The real news is here and here you can find english translation
  • Reply 20 of 38
    death87death87 Posts: 7member
    Here a little clip of the iPod Phone connection, synchronization, and ejection.

the clip was made by World So Cold