When is it the best time to buy an Apple notebook?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm interested in buying an Apple notebook, but I don't want to fork out over $1,000 for something that could be obsolete the next day since Apple never tells its consumers when new models will be released. So when should one buy a notebook, will the current models not be changed until they are released with Intel chips?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    The Mac Rumors buyers guide is the typical resource to point to.

To wit, the iBook is overdue but can't be updated (and keep difference between them and Powerbooks) until the Powerbooks are updated. It is likely that they'll be updated with the 7448 chip as a stopgap until Intel chips are introduced. That will probably increase the Powerbook up to 1.7 GHz, or since Apple usually gets faster then announced chips 1.8 GHz+ (plus a slightly faster bus). The iBook will probably climb no higher then 1.5 GHz, probably not with the faster bus. This should happen in and around Spetember, probably August to get the back to school crowd. Of course this again depends on Freescale.

6 odd months after that (possibly Macworld in Jan.) Intel chips go in.

Buy it now if you need it now, otherwise wait as long as you can until you do need it.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    abubabub Posts: 2member
    Thank you for the awesome response, it really helped me decide when to buy the notebook. I think I'll wait for the model just before the release of the INTEL chip notebooks.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    robin hoodrobin hood Posts: 513member
    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

The bottom line at the end of the day is that if you need a PowerBook now, buy one now. If you don't need one now, wait. For instance, I bought a new PowerBook myself recently because I needed one, and could not be happier with my purchase. At the same time, if I hadn't really needed one, I would have waited to see what the next year brings.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    The fact is that it's impossible to win at the waiting game. Eventually, Inevitably your product will become obsolete. The only thing you can do is ensure that it takes a few months before that happens.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Well it is possible to win at the waiting game...that is if you can wait. If you are in need of something now, by all means buy it. I have always had the luxury of waiting until the next thing comes along, and I feel better about my purchase having done so. But some people can't do that ....like my school for instance.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    When you need it. Duh.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    blue2kdaveblue2kdave Posts: 652member
    Quote:

Originally posted by marmotton

When you need it. Duh.

beat me to it...
  • Reply 8 of 8
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Cool thing about the PBs is that you can spend an inordinate length of time boasting that you have the top-of-the-line PB!!

--B