LIVE8 .. add your support!

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I'm sure a lot of you are watching/listening to the concerts around the world now.

Excellent music and an excellent cause!

Don't forget to SIGN HERE

MAKE POVERTY HISTORY

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    danielctulldanielctull Posts: 586member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MiMac

I'm sure a lot of you are watching/listening to the concerts around the world now.

Excellent music and an excellent cause!

Don't forget to SIGN HERE

MAKE POVERTY HISTORY

I am truly skeptical of how these concerts will actually help Africa really. Now I'm totally for helping out Africa, but I just don't understand the mentality of hosting several concerts to raise awareness. I have seen and heard very little of the actual concerts, but this past week all that has been on the radio is Live 8 this and Live 8 that. And y'know what? It's all been about the music... This is really promoting the cause? More like promoting the bands.

To be honest, I lost it with this idea when Geldof decided freedom of speech was no longer allowed. I know a lot of my friends tell me to shut up and stop being a geek, but ebay represents (or used to) a free market, and one person can come along and be the law - it's not right.

He says it's okay if the bands make money of the back of Live 8, then two days later says normal folk can't sell their tickets. Anyway, I'm sure for weeks to come, probably months, we'll here about the biggest concert in the world ever, the bands that played. Maybe the G8 summit news will make it to page 4 in the more reputable newspapers, maybe.

If you really want to help these people, the best we can hope to do is to fly over and help build a shelter, or a hospital, or a school. Let the governments know we care yes, but lets face it we're hardly showing we care by going to watch tens of famous artists in a nice field with huge screens and bottles of beer.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    hegorhegor Posts: 160member
    I certainly support African debt relief and Live8.

However, MTVs and VH1 coverage of the concerts sucked so, and I mean oh so bad, that they might have damaged this particular cause.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    The point of Live 8 is to put pressure on the G8 when they meet. Normally these meetings go by with minimal coverage, but not this time. Now the eyes of the world will be watching. If those politicians come out with nothing, their popularity will nose dive.

I thought the event was a huge success, and there is still the march on Edinburgh to come.

I don't think the level of cynicism that is about regarding Bob and Live 8 is at all justified, he really is doing this to help Africa.

As for the music, seeing Pink Floyd back together and absolutely on top of their game was the highlight. Amazing stuff.