Informal PCI cards in PCI-X slots compatibility list?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am curious how often issues arise when using standard PCI cards in a PCI-X G5? I had a hard time tracking down information on what works, so I just tried a few cards that I have on hand.

I knew the slots are keyed to prevent certain types of cards, so that ruled out one firewire card I had, you need a "key" notch in the connector edge near the end toward the backplate.

Of course, the Intel PCI-X gigE network card worked fine (Intel PRO/1000 XT), rated for 133MHz and works fine in the G5's 133MHz slot. No driver was required at all for Tiger.

I had tried the Adaptec AUA-3121 with no luck. I didn't think it would work, but AUA-3020 works fine, I thought the cards were identical except for added ports on the 3121 but they are slightly different. I think the 3020 was a newer revision, and the 3121 was basically a discontinued model.

Edit: I should note that AUA-3121 and 3020 are Adaptec DuoConnects. The 3121 has 3 ext USB2, 1 int, 2 ext FW, 1 int (hence 3121), 3020 has no internal jacks.

A Belkin 5 port USB 2.0 card I happened to dig up works fine as well, I don't have a model number or chip number.