Show me your resumé!

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I'm not hiring. Actually, I'm moving from Austin to Houston (wife got a fat lawyerin' gig) and I'll be needing to find a new job.

So, show me your super cool resumés so I can spruce up my complete crap resumé. Go ahead and fill your template with fake information, put in .pdf if possible and get to uploading.

Also, post your advice on what information to include. Or anything else related to this, actually.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Try to keep it to one page if possible. Certainly no more than two pages.

Include a little bit of info on each prior job, but keep it light. No one reads resumes anyway.

Don't bother referencing jobs that amount to little, such as that summer you spent inventorizing broken sludge pumps at a sewage treatment plant to help pay for school. (Although, if it's that fringe, do include)

Perhaps you consider yourself an expert in something. Make sure you get this point across loud and clear.

Ultimately, you're trying to bond with the employer, since, in all likelihood they're going to get several applications from people who can do the job as well as you, and they're going to hire based on who they think they can work with best. So the interview is the bigger deal.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    A man's place is in the home.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    You know the difference between the resume and the CV (curriculum vitae), yes? A resume is the highlights, a CV is the whole story. Keep your resume really brief, one page for someone at your age with your experience. No stupid formatting tricks to fit everything, like itsy-bitsy fonts and 1/4 inch margins. Edit. More precise and fewer words are better than more poetic and more words. Make sure your credentials get across the kind of environment you want to be in, how you want to interact with people, and where you want to go with yourself eventually -- don't just apply for the job at hand, show some ambition to move.

Make your name a little big in the header.

Write in complete sentences, spell check for the love of God, be succinct. Proper amounts of space and clear formatting go a lot further to get your resume out of a stack than all your high school awards and volunteer work.

Don't list high school stuff at this point unless you're right out of college with little experience, it's really extraordinary stuff, or will win you good-ol-boy points (e.g., Exeter grad).

Good rule of thumb: keep bullet points and listed items (jobs, skills, activities, education, etc.) in groups or sub-groups of 3 to 7. Less than three makes it seem trivial and no worth having in there. More than seven (seven is a LOT for a resume) and it's getting too detailed.

Another rule of thumb: name-dropping is good. Most times, whomever is vetting the resumes is scanning the thing for something or someone they recognize. It's important that they be able to scan the thing easily with having to read all the bullet points, and that the places and names stand out.

I can post a .pdf of my resume (with some fake info to protect the guilty) tonight if I remember.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Thanks for the posts. I look forward to seeing actual resumés. Get to posting, people!

• Reply 5 of 39
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    moving from austin to houston?

damn, that better be a hella job she is getting to do that

good luck

g

me i go nothing...i write one resume every 10 years or so
  • Reply 6 of 39
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    My resumé is pretty out of date, but I've had to look at a lot of resumés lately. I think most of them are awful -- but then again, I'm not sure reactions are typical.

What makes me gag is the marketing-hype lingo that's creeping into so many resumés lately. "I'm a results-oriented professional, working to provide timely solutions to business critical applications... yadda, yadda". Blehhcchhh!!! But that which pins the needle on my personal bullshit detector might be the same sort of crap that some human resource types love, so who knows? Maybe playing these bullshit games works in many cases.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    Yeah, precise verbage that expresses what you want, and not what you think they want to hear goes farther than that generic "I'm a people person" crap.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    Quote:

damn, that better be a hella job she is getting to do that

She'll be making ~2.8x what I make now right off the bat, and it will go up quite sharply from there.

Law firms pay well.

Also, we got a place inside the loop within (long) walking distance of downtown. We aren't stuck out in hellish suburbia or anything (I made damned sure of that) and inside the loop it can actually be pretty nice. Lots of cool little things to do and places to eat.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    Make sure you visit Madras Pavillian on Kirby. It's a lovely little vegetarian Indian restaurant where a lot liberal people hang out.

Keep The Dad At Home

http://capitolbuzz.blogspot.com/2005...-excerpts.html
  • Reply 10 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Yeah, precise verbage that expresses what you want, and not what you think they want to hear goes farther than that generic "I'm a people person" crap.

I was thinking of putting, right under my name,

"I like to think outside the box and work with shifting paradigms."

No?
  • Reply 11 of 39
    If you can squeeze the word "synergy" into half your bullet points, you'll be a shoe-in!
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Quote:

If you can squeeze the word "synergy" into half your bullet points, you'll be a shoe-in!

How could I forget!?
  • Reply 13 of 39
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    First off not that I know Texas or anything, but you seem way more Austin than Houston. Secondly, can you please move to Delay's district and vote against him

I haven't done a resume in well ever, but I do see a bunch of them and most of them are pretty terrible. I'm amazed how many times I see things like, proficient in outlook. When times were more laid back my coworkers and I would sometimes spend a Friday afternoon drinking beer and laughing at resumes.

As far as advice though, my wife does a good deal of hiring at my job and one thing she always digs is when people send a follow up note after an interview thanking her for her time and the opportunity to meet with her.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    Quote:

Ack! DON"T use the word "synergy".

Personally, yup, your name ought to stand out. However a little creativity (a little!) in page layout doesn't hurt either. I think that it'll help the document stand out.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    G, I don't want to derail your thread but, how well do you know Houston? Just curious.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Not terribly familiar, but try me anyway.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i don't know if it's anything special, but here's mine.

everything i have read says the old one-page rule is over-done and just take as much room as it takes, providing you aren't going overboard and talking about your roles in high school drama productions

http://ucplanning.uc.edu/people/stud...Sickmiller.pdf

personal info, shmersonal pinfo
  • Reply 18 of 39
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    Sorry guys, I have this need to hijack this thread momentarily...

One word, HUMIDITY!

When it statrs to rain HARD, don't get stuck under bridges or at big intersections. Houston floods at the drop of a hat...

Get use to no natural topagraphy. Pretty flat area.

Oh, another word, SKEETERS! They have been known to gang up on small children and carry them away...

I did a quick Google and the only cool clubs I recognize from my time in Houston (1980-1989) are The Ale House (Kings X, Missing Persons, Joe King Carrasco...), Fitzgerald's (Fabulous Thunderbirds, Stevie Ray, Roomfull Of Blues...) and Rudyard's Pub (Dead Kennedy's, Agent Orange, Black Flag). Check 'em out. I'm glad they're still around.

Ahhh, those were the days...

Back to your disscussion.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Changed stuff to protect the guilty so the formatting is a bit off. Funny, after not looking at it for months, now I might do a few things a bit differently.

In my field, the resumé is usually accompanied by a mini portfolio. The header is a bit short because all the sheets had the same header, and one that was too tall in my case would get in the way of graphics on the other sheets. Don't feel the need to compress your address like I did.

• Reply 20 of 39
    Yay, two to peer through. Thanks!

Buon, what's that sexy-ass font?

I've heard a lot of people say not to bother with personal info. Yet I know that people get interviews because the person looking at the resumes like that part. hrm