Can anyone recommend a PCI 802.11g card for a desktop?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I found a few models on line, but was wondering if any of you have any experience w/ PCI wireless cards. I want to install this into a Beige G3(4).

TIA

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Keda

I found a few models on line, but was wondering if any of you have any experience w/ PCI wireless cards. I want to install this into a Beige G3(4).

TIA

I have one of these:

http://broadband.motorola.com/consum...gp/default.asp

My PowerMac sees the card as a AirPort compatible NIC without any additional drivers needed.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    Thanks.

I have just moved, and had my PM serving music to my stereo. Because of the new house layout, I want to place the machine in a different room from the stereo.

How is the reception? Any issues w/it?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    I would say to stay away with anything using the Ralink RT2500 chipset (typically "cheaper" cards)... especially if you want to use WPA encryption. They have had ongoing problems with this (just Google it and you'll find tons of stories). If you go with Linksys you can be pretty sure you'll be safe... or look for something with a Broadcom chipset (unfortunately, manufacturers won't always indicate what chipset is used in their product).