External SATA hdd enclosure with Firewire or USB connectivity

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I need a SATA hard drive enclosure so I can plug my old iMac hdd in it and connect it to my iMac so I can retrieve some information from it.

Does anyone know where I can get an external case that will allow me to shove a SATA drive in it and connect it by Firewire or USB?

I have looked all day and cannot find such a contraption. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

I need a SATA hard drive enclosure so I can plug my old iMac hdd in it and connect it to my iMac so I can retrieve some information from it.

Does anyone know where I can get an external case that will allow me to shove a SATA drive in it and connect it by Firewire or USB?

I have looked all day and cannot find such a contraption. Any help would be appreciated.

It appears that no one makes this setup. Instead, a SATA -> IDE data bridge is used in this situation.

Good to know.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

It appears that no one makes this setup. Instead, a SATA -> IDE data bridge is used in this situation.

Good to know.

So do you have to buy an external IDE enclosure and a data bridge? I am in need of the same thing.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

So do you have to buy an external IDE enclosure and a data bridge? I am in need of the same thing.

Evidently, I have the data bridge on order from adonics. I assume I will need an extra SATA cable from the hdd to the bridge and then just a standard ide cable from the bridge to the case.

My bridge is supposed to be here on the 12th.