replacing memory in ibook

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
i would like to upgrade my 1.33ghz ibook's memory. how do i go about opening up the ibook to put the new memory in? i dont see anything to open the case to gain access to the memory bay. also, what are some good memory dealers (price-wise and memory-wise)? ive been looking at crucial.com and 4allmemory.com are there any other good ones? and i guess most importantly does not upgrading my memory with apple void my warranty... like opening the case and whatnot? thanks in advance for any help and info!

-Jordan

edit:

also, according to crucial i have 256mb built in and 1 slot in my ibook, but does that mean i have...

a) 256mb memory built in to the computer and also have 1 memory slot free (for upgrade memory)?

or

b) just 1 memory slot and the factory 256mb stick is in that slot?

thanks again!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    I am pretty sure the procedure is documented in the manual that comes with the iBook.

Basically, you remove the keyboard (two spring loaded clips at the top), tilt it up. You'll then have to remove the Airport card (and unhook the antenna) to get access to the memory slot.

(I did this a year ago and I am reciting this from memory. If I'm wrong, then look it up... it should be all online)

You have 256MB soldered to the logic board and an empty slot.