Problem installing OSX over OS9

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have a G3 that I was trying to upgrade from OS 9.2 to OS X 3 (Panther). Everytime I put the Install CD in, I got an error message that the "startup disk was unable to select the install cd as the startup disk (-2)"

I tried to point the control panel startup disk to the cd, but although I could see it, it wouldn't let me highlight it.

Online, I got advice to "create a "System Disk2" folder and copy OS X Install CD tp it. Then, alledgelly, I could switch from OS 9 to OS X

Well, did that. Now machine boots to "Apple" screen and stays there. Try to reboot system with Panther cd inside and hold "C: at bootup, but to no avail.

How can I correct this, either by installing OSX or going back? Don't have my original OS 9 disk, but even with it, will machine "see" it?

HELP!!

Thanks!

BTW,

If I use another "Panther" dvd that came with my Mac Mini, and hold down the "C", it will start to boot to that, but get the message "Can't load bundled software".

If I hold down "C" at reboot with standard "Panther" cd, nothing happens, still get chromed apple and nothing else.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Depending on just what G3 it is, it may need a firmware update for osx, check apple support for info.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    All our B&W's run OS X fine from the install CD. We have 300mhz thru 450mhz G3's.

All the Beige G3's had to be fudged (xpostfacto)and weren't worth the hassle.

Dobby.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

All our B&W's run OS X fine from the install CD. We have 300mhz thru 450mhz G3's.

All the Beige G3's had to be fudged (xpostfacto)and weren't worth the hassle.

Dobby.

Beige G3's can most certainly run MacOS X 10.2 without XPostFacto. I am not sure about 10.3.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Beige G3's can most certainly run MacOS X 10.2 without XPostFacto. I am not sure about 10.3.

I have three 266 MHz Beige G3s running 10.2.8. XPostFacto is required for 10.3+