Running my own email server on Tiger Server...anyone else doing this?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have been thinking about seting up and running my own email server from home for one of my domain's. Since the domain is not used, this is not mission critical stuff.

However, maybe one day I will be able to do all of my email server operations.

How easy is it to set up an email server with pop, imap, and web based emails? I have read Apple's site but they tend to make things sound a little too easy.

I want the skinny from someone who has done this or knows firsthand.

TIA

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    This couldn't honestly be any easier. I have done it at least a dozen times now and for hundreds of users and I must say 10.4 Tiger Server's ability to reconstruct the database and the user mailboxes with the click of a button beats the crap out of using Terminal to do it in 10.3.9. It's literally as simple as 1-2-3.

1. Create User Account

2. Click on the Mail button and Click Enabled then Type in the IP Address of the Server.

3. Go to Server Admin and click on Mail -> Settings -> Enable Pop

There you go you now have an e-mail server. If you need more detailed instructions don't hesitate to send me a PM or reply here.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    We use Kerio mailserver 6 with 150 web clients. Server is Dual 1.33 XServe and client is any mac/pc using safari/ie.

Cheap As and works a dream!

Dobby.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    even though it is not missoon critical, it would be nice to have backup. I used www.dnsmadeeasy.com for my backup on my email. They provide 3 addition MX entries with the servers all over the place. I do not rememeber the price but i knoiw it's less than $10 USD a year.

NOTE: I am not affiliated in any other way other than that i like thier service.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O4BlackWRX

This couldn't honestly be any easier. I have done it at least a dozen times now and for hundreds of users and I must say 10.4 Tiger Server's ability to reconstruct the database and the user mailboxes with the click of a button beats the crap out of using Terminal to do it in 10.3.9. It's literally as simple as 1-2-3.

1. Create User Account

2. Click on the Mail button and Click Enabled then Type in the IP Address of the Server.

3. Go to Server Admin and click on Mail -> Settings -> Enable Pop

There you go you now have an e-mail server. If you need more detailed instructions don't hesitate to send me a PM or reply here.

Is IMAP the same procedure?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

Is IMAP the same procedure?

It really is that easy. Here is a screenshot provided from the 10.4 Server Admin Tools.