I need to to type chinese characters

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Anyone has any free word processors to recommend?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yuji

Anyone has any free word processors to recommend?

You can use Text Edit in conjunction with Edit > Special Characters....
  • Reply 2 of 10
    yujiyuji Posts: 43member
    Sorry, I do not quite understand.

Are you referring to a particular program? Like perhaps Microsoft Word?

Otherwise, would appreciate if u could guide me thru' step by step.

Tks.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    When OS X was installed by default it installs an option to use Chinese characters (many others as well). Some people optionally disable this during install. If you are using someone else's computer the Chinese input methods might not be installed.

There are two ways to use Chinese script.

First way, open System Preferences then choose International. Under the Language tab find one of the two Chinese scripts and drag it to the top of the list. Now log out and log back in. All the menus should now be in Chinese. Pretty much any word processor or text editor should work now in Chinese. Text Edit is the free text editor supplied with OS X. Others can be found on Version Tracker. It is not free but Nisus Writer is well known for international use.

Second way, open System Preferences then choose International. Under the Input Menu tab check the box next to the desired Chinese script. Quit System Preferences. Now open your desired text editor. You should see a small American flag in the menu bar. Press command-space to cycle through the various input methods (the flags will change) till you get to the desired input method. You may also need to select a Chinese font. At least one set is supplied with OS X.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Sorry, I do not quite understand.

Are you referring to a particular program? Like perhaps Microsoft Word?

Otherwise, would appreciate if u could guide me thru' step by step.

Tks.

Yes, I am. Text Edit is the standard text editor/low-end word processor that ships with every single copy of MacOS X. Edit > Special Characters... is a menu selection available in most MacOS X applications since late versions of MacOS X 10.3. Here's how you get it:

1. Launch Text Edit. You should find it in your /Macintosh HD/Applications/ folder.

2. Click on the Edit menu.

3. Drag down to the bottom of the menu to the Special Characters... item. Release your mouse.

4. You now have a dialog box from which you may select any character in any font installed on your Mac.

5. Choose your favorite installed Chinese font.

6. Scroll around to the glyphs that you need.

7. Drag & drop each glyph to its required location in your document.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Thanks alot Neutrino and Mr. Me!

I managed to try that out. The only drawback is, it's quite a hassle to find the chinese characters.

When I was on windows platform, I used NJStar, and its really convenient.

Anyhow, your help was useful to me. Thanks!
  • Reply 6 of 10
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Yuji, you'll need to follow neutrino's advice to properly input Chinese text. Mr. Me's instructions, while correct, will no more help you type Chinese than double-clicking the letters A-Z in the character palette will help you type English.

In the International pane in System Preferences, you'll have to choose your preferred Chinese input method. Once you do that, you'll be able to access that any time through the flag icon in the menubar to switch to typing Chinese.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    For Neutrino's suggestion, his method one don't work, because I use English interface all the time. I only need to type chinese characters occassionally.

I followed his instructions in his 2nd suggestion, but i'm not too sure how it works. I don't seem to be able to type the 'han yu pin yin' of the chinese characters to locate the correct one. if I have to scroll through them, that's not user friendly.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Sorry, I don't speak Chinese so I never use this method. I sometimes use this method to input Japanese characters. In this case I use the second method I described. I press command-space till I see the Japanese flag. Now when I type on the keyboard I phonetically type in something and when I get the string I want I press space. This converts the input to Chinese characters (Japanese usage). If it is not the correct characters I press space again to see another choice. When I get the ones I want I press return.

I hope this helps.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Quote:

I followed his instructions in his 2nd suggestion, but i'm not too sure how it works. I don't seem to be able to type the 'han yu pin yin' of the chinese characters to locate the correct one. if I have to scroll through them, that's not user friendly.

Can you be more specific in what you did and where you're getting stuck?

Here's what you should have done. Under the Input Menu pane of International in System Preferences, check "Pinyin" under "Traditional Chinese."

Once you've done that, you'll be able to type Chinese using the pinyin input method in most applications. In TextEdit, for example, click on the flag icon in the menubar and select the pinyin input method. You should then be able to type Chinese.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    frawgz,

you solved my problem. the pinyin method is exactly what i'm looking for.

thanks a million, you're a saviour!