Guns, Germs, and Steel on PBS

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
A PBS documentary version of Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs, and Steel is airing starting tonight in the US.

If you haven't heard of it or read the book, here's a synopsis:
Quote:

Based on Jared Diamond's Pulitzer Prize-winning book of the same name, Guns, Germs and Steel traces humanity's journey over the last 13,000 years ? from the dawn of farming at the end of the last Ice Age to the realities of life in the twenty-first century.

Why were Europeans the ones to conquer so much of our planet?

Why didn't the Chinese, or the Inca, become masters of the globe instead?

Why did cities first evolve in the Middle East?

Why did farming never emerge in Australia?

And why are the tropics now the capital of global poverty?

Here's the PBS show's website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I heard that's a good book. I want to read it and then view this video. I'm glad PBS is bringing it to the screen.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    It is a fantastic book, I really enjoyed it.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I've read some of the book and quite enjoyed it, but haven't had the opportunity to finish it. Hopefully I'll be able to catch the film documentary some other time.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Its funny I just started reading that book . . . . and then the series comes on TV . . . . now I won't 'need' to read it . . .
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Guns, Germs and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies.

I like Jared Diamond, he is 70 years old now, but he looks young.

here is a video interview with Stephen Colbert, ( May 21, 2007)

http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/t...pleSyndication
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Ive been reading the book for almost a year. I keep picking it up and putting it down and picking it up and putting it down. I wish I had known there was a documentary made about it.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Same here..I keep starting and stopping. I'll finish the book (which is on loan) and then buy the series. It really is fascinating to think about how geography and access to resources makes some nations thrive and others fail.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I think this is the best forum that is providing the information of Guns, Germs, and Steel on PBS and also others affairs running in the world known as current affairs