Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.2 Update

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
get it while it's hot.

I'll post the feature list when I finish the update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 103
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by g3pro

get it while it's hot.

Yeah, just saw it pop up when I went to install the iSync update. NEATO.
  • Reply 2 of 103
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Apple today released the second maintenance update to its relatively new Tiger operating system.

The 10.4.2 Update delivers overall improved reliability and compatibility for Mac OS X v10.4 and is recommended for all users.

According to the release notes, Mac OS X 10.4.2 delivers bug fixes to the following areas of the Tiger system: file sharing using AFP and SMB/CIFS network file services; single sign-on authentication and reliable access to Active Directory servers; autologin for managed user accounts; AirPort and wireless access; and synchronizing your iDisk with .Mac.

Mac OS X 10.4.2 also packs improvements to Address Book, Automator, iCal, iChat, Mail, Safari, Stickies, the Finder, installation reliability, Core Graphics, Core Audio, Core Image, and ATI and NVIDIA graphics drivers.

With the release, Apple has delivered significant improvements to Tiger's Dashboard widget management environment, including a new Widget Manager.

More detailed information on this on the Mac OS X 10.4.2 update is available from Apple's website.
  • Reply 3 of 103
    bnoyhtuawbbnoyhtuawb Posts: 456member
    Quote:

Originally posted by g3pro

get it while it's hot.

Build number?

8C46?
  • Reply 4 of 103
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    Here's a screen of the widget manager:

• Reply 5 of 103
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I'm looking forward to installing this when I get home. Hopefully it will fix my AirPort Extreme autoconnect issues.
  • Reply 6 of 103
    robin hoodrobin hood Posts: 513member
    I just installed it now, about to reboot. A report will follow.
  • Reply 7 of 103
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    By the way, when repairing permissions after the update it listed the following:

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets. New permissions are 16877

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/acinclude.m4. New permissions are 33060

Perhaps that is new? Not sure.
  • Reply 8 of 103
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Anybody got the build number? Is 8C46 the GM?
  • Reply 9 of 103
    c2poonc2poon Posts: 38member
    Well I can't seem to download the 10.4.2 update, the network keeps timing out. I did however download the update for iSync. I rebooted my computer and now almost all my settings are gone. My iTunes library has been reset, all my custom playlists are gone. This bites man! My custom icons in my dock all disappeared too. Gee Whiz!
  • Reply 10 of 103
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Anybody got the build number? Is 8C46 the GM?

System VersiontMac OS X 10.4.2 (8C46)
  • Reply 11 of 103
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

System VersiontMac OS X 10.4.2 (8C46)

Great. Thanks.
  • Reply 12 of 103
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    is it snappier UI-wise?
  • Reply 13 of 103
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    I don;'t know if I'm seeing things, but the water effect in widgets seems a little slicker.
  • Reply 14 of 103
    macserverxmacserverx Posts: 217member
    One question

Quartz 2D Extreme?

(On dial-up still, I'll get it at work tomorrow and put it on my shuffle. )
  • Reply 15 of 103
    Sorry for not updating ya earlier, I had a dinner appointment.

The update went well, I have not noticed any difference apart from the widget manager, which works well. I never noticed any bugs in Tiger before, so maybe that's why.

As far as the Finder, I use Path Finder (a replacement finder) instead, so I don't know if anything there has changed. Path Finder still works fine.
  • Reply 16 of 103
    No Quartz 2D Extreme... I also enabled it in Powerbook using the OSXHints post and still saw display issues on the login screen...

Maybe some day....
  • Reply 17 of 103
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    Now that the second update is out, I think now's the time to upgrade my Dual 2.5 to Tiger. I hope it goes smoothly
  • Reply 18 of 103
    Quote:

Originally posted by amac4me

Now that the second update is out, I think now's the time to upgrade my Dual 2.5 to Tiger. I hope it goes smoothly

I upgraded almost a dozen Mac's so far, and all have gone smoothly. The only issue we came across was that Adobe CS had to be reinstalled, since Photoshop would no longer open files properly after the upgrade.
  • Reply 19 of 103
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kidventus

No Quartz 2D Extreme... I also enabled it in Powerbook using the OSXHints post and still saw display issues on the login screen...

Maybe some day....

how do you enable in manually?
  • Reply 20 of 103
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

As far as the Finder, I use Path Finder (a replacement finder) instead, so I don't know if anything there has changed. Path Finder still works fine.

It may be me but the Finder is definitely quicker to respond on my iMac G5. Less hesitation all the way around.