Networking question....

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all,

Let me start by saying I'm a college student and for all my computer expertise I'm not very knowledgable about networking. At my house (where I'm living this summer) I have a basic home network; my parent's Windows box and my Linux box with a shared internet connection. While at school I bought an Airport Express for my PowerBook so I could have wireless connection in my dorm room. I also use the AP Express at home but when I connect it to my network it sets up a wireless "subnetwork". Is there any way to configure the AP Express to act as a "bridge" (not sure if this is the correct terminology) to my wired network so I could share files while on my wireless network???

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Ok assuming you already have a router, you never stated, what you would need to do is plug in your AE into the router and turn off the DHCP Server inside the AE. After that, turn on file sharing on your other computers and you should be on the same network. For instance. One company I did has a Linksys 8-port router, to a Mac OS X Server (DHCP server), & then AE & AExtreme, and they can all share files between each other (wired or wireless).
  • Reply 2 of 3
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    (Post split into its own thread to correct threadcrap - JL)

Refer to post here: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=56013
  • Reply 3 of 3
    baranovichbaranovich Posts: 184member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O4BlackWRX

Ok assuming you already have a router, you never stated, what you would need to do is plug in your AE into the router and turn off the DHCP Server inside the AE. After that, turn on file sharing on your other computers and you should be on the same network. For instance. One company I did has a Linksys 8-port router, to a Mac OS X Server (DHCP server), & then AE & AExtreme, and they can all share files between each other (wired or wireless).

Thanks it worked well... not sure why I didn't think of doing that earlier....