Coolest Keyboard in the World?!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

http://www.artlebedev.ru/portfolio/optimus/

The keys can change depending on the user's language, application they are using, etc.

I challenge anyone to find a cooler keyboard.

Jambo

PS As a side-note, rumors are the same type of technology will be used on the Nintendo Revolution's controller.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    That is really interesting.

More so would be the changing of the keys when command is pressed. ie W changes to an X in a red circle for close window, M changes to - in a yellow circle, S changes to a little diskette for saving etc. Just as shift should make them uppercase and alt makes them into the different symbols.

This looks like it will be the next generation of computer input, I would love to see this technology as a feature of new Macs - possibly (hopefully) the next incarnations of PowerBooks when they arrive in the next year or two. Hopefully low power OLED or other screen tech, will make this a viable option.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    are they oleds ?
  • Reply 3 of 20
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    That's pretty fuckin' amazing. These keyboards will cost an arm and a leg at first I'm sure but this would certainly be 'the future'.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    paired with mac os 10.6 it will be sweet as.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    nuttynutty Posts: 50member
    Yeah, I take your challange, Up for the compatition my Saitek Eclipse titaniumedition keyboard

Eclipse:

Pros

Works

Availble NOW

Cost under $50

You can spill coffee and it Still works

read the above reason, and again

Runs off of a usb port or a PS/2 port unlike that thing that will need a second wall plugh

No typing noise

Gaming quality

Cons

You have to use your brain (Ctrl S is save)

You have to have the IQ of atleast a monkey

That Thing

Pros

you can be a donkey and operate it

The keys are bright and in your face

Cons

Cost a arm and a leg

Not many programs would be usable at the time of relase with special fetures

have a Coke within a mile of the Keyboard and you get a heartatack

THE COST $500+
  • Reply 6 of 20
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    actually, i think this is teh coolest keyboard ever. if it existed in white i would have 2 of those at work .... 8)
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

actually, i think this is teh coolest keyboard ever. if it existed in white i would have 2 of those at work .... 8)

holy crap... that really says, "fuck off i am the master"

"...The keys are factory tested to withstand over 30 million keystrokes, providing the ultimate in comfort and durability. The keyboard also features three Windows application keys."

WHICH THREE ????
  • Reply 8 of 20
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jambo

Look! An ass-key keyboard... or is that a don-key?
  • Reply 9 of 20
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Wow, the internet world goes around pretty fast.

Read this thread here, then stopped over at Nova, where afterdark pointed this keyboard out on that board.

Later in the thread it was pointed out that this was originally envisioned by Outsider here on AI almost two years ago.

I spend way too much time online.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    BTW, well done Outsider.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    deestardeestar Posts: 105member
    Looks like they have updated the page with some answers to some frequently asked questions:

Frequently Answered Answers about the Optimus keyboard

? It's in initial stage of production

? We hope it will be released in 2006

? It will cost less than a good mobile phone

? It will be real

? It will be OS-independent (at least it can work in some default state with any OS)

? It will support any language or layout

? Each key could be programmed to produce any sequence

? It will be an open-source keyboard, SDK will be available

? Some day it will be split ('ergonomic')

? It will most likely use OLED technology (e-paper is sooo slow)

? It will feature a key-saver

? Keys will use animation when needed

? It has numeric keypad because we love it

? It will be available worldwide (why not?)

? OEM will be possible (why not?)

http://www.artlebedev.com/portfolio/optimus/

Would love Apple to deliver a keyboard like this...already looks Apple like in styling.

• Reply 12 of 20
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    So, if they are all displays, will OLED require us to use a screensaver for the keyboard to prevent burn-in?

I vote using a portion for screensavers and a customizable section for news updates, even including video. Click the video to go to the news item.

Space bar can have RSS news headlines scrolling by. Hit space to go to the story while it's visible.

© 2005 johnq.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    heh. good one johnq i guess this will be the next best thing before some sort of holographic/finger-gesture 'keyboard' interface
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

heh. good one johnq i guess this will be the next best thing before some sort of holographic/finger-gesture 'keyboard' interface

Heh, about five years ago on a tech show over here called Tomorrow's World featured a light keyboard. It would display the keyboard via light and a sensor would track finger movements. I think the worst thing was the lack of feedback of pressing buttons.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

Heh, about five years ago on a tech show over here called Tomorrow's World featured a light keyboard. It would display the keyboard via light and a sensor would track finger movements. I think the worst thing was the lack of feedback of pressing buttons.

some sort of mild electric shock? sparks fly out from the light/sensor thingy into your fingers
  • Reply 16 of 20
    jasocojasoco Posts: 74member
    I will most definitely be buying one. And the first thing I'll do is program the keypad (The most useless part of the keyboard ever) to more hotkeys. I NEVER touch the keys over there! I'd just assume take a saw and cut the four and a half inches off. But if I can use them for more hotkeys, awesome.

I love this keyboard's look, but I wish it could be smaller.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    http://www.artlebedev.com/portfolio/optimus/

Feb 1st

Pics show apple keyboard layout
  • Reply 18 of 20
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    It says $200 to $300 on Wikipedia's article on it, for what that's worth.

I think I'd pay that.

There's also a "blank" layout where there's nothing on the keys, similar to Das Keyboard.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    I will wait for the split keyboard.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    I will wait for the split keyboard.