need help with speakers...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
ok, so when i bought my mac the guy told me that it didnt have speakers built in. i bought 5.1 for my 1.8ghz imac and it seems only the sub, front right and front left are being used. how do i set it up to use the other 3 too? or do i have to upgrade the sound card?

btw: im new to mac

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zfmt

ok, so when i bought my mac the guy told me that it didnt have speakers built in. i bought 5.1 for my 1.8ghz imac and it seems only the sub, front right and front left are being used. how do i set it up to use the other 3 too? or do i have to upgrade the sound card?

are you on tiger mac os 10.4 ?

what is your speaker setup? brand, connection type.

i assume you're talking about the latest iMac g5 1.8ghz 17"? it does have built-in speakers by the way, albeit not so great ones
  • Reply 2 of 6
    zfmtzfmt Posts: 53member
    im using like 50$ speakers anyways:

logitec X-530

they are connected in the headphone jack, the mac has built in speakers. yes i am using the 1.8ghz imac on os x 4.2
  • Reply 3 of 6
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

they are connected in the headphone jack, the mac has built in speakers. yes i am using the 1.8ghz imac on os x 4.2

I think the iMac can play directly 5.1 sound (without extra hardware) only from the optical output. Is that possible for the speakers you have?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    nuttynutty Posts: 50member
    First if you are only running the speakers thrugh one port you will need to turn off the matrix button on the front control, Then you would need some sort of USB sound card and plug in all the ports, but with the cost of mac accessories it would probly cost upwards of $75
  • Reply 5 of 6
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

I think the iMac can play directly 5.1 sound (without extra hardware) only from the optical output. Is that possible for the speakers you have?

if this is not possible, try opening

Audio Midi setup in Applications/Utilities and play with some settings there

click on the ConfigureSpeakers button

if this doesn't work, get a stereo minijack to RCA cable and

the $4.99 logitech "game console adapter"

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...ONTENTID=10036
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

iThink you need to get a mini stereo/optical adapter. I got a 1 meter long cables with the adapter plug at radioshack for cheap a while back.

You need the optical output for 5.1 sound , and then you need an external decoder/speaker set up. if your speakers have a optical input you should be all set with the ministereo/optical cable or adapter.

here is the adapter you would need and it plugs into the headphone jack of your imac. ADAPTER