Advice: Which Color Laser Printer?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm in the market for a new printer and am trying to be forward looking in my purchasing, and have a desire to a get a color laser as even stock it should fulfill my printing needs for a few years.

I'm willing to look at used and refurbished and older models as they'll get me closer/under my desired spending amount.

So, my question is, what printers would you recommend?

Auto-duplexing is desired if I can get it inside my price range (not certain what that is yet). I'll take any suggestions and positive or negative reviews and do some additional research. Make and Model are fine for posting here to get me on some track.

Thanks

edit: Keep in mind, this will be a SOHO setup.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Xerox Phaser.

The only choice to consider, IMHO, and I have professional experience with dozens of color lasers.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    macserverxmacserverx Posts: 217member
    Well, I've done some other research and the Samsung CLP-5XX Series look good as well and oddly enough have almost the exact exterior of the Phaser 6100.

The Phaser 840 Plus, Phaser 850DP, Phaser 6100, Samsung CLP-550, Phaser 860DP are what I am currently keeping my eyes open for the most, in no particular order. Should any of those be considered more favorable?

Thanks again
  • Reply 3 of 4
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

Xerox Phaser.

The only choice to consider, IMHO, and I have professional experience with dozens of color lasers.

It's a great printer, but from my experience with the Phaser line (3 years ago) the waxes are EXPENSIVE, and they slowly evaporate even if you don't use them. We also had a problem with one of the jets from time to time, and a faint line would appear down the page, and you would have to clean the jets using the menu.

The other problem I didn't like with the wax, is that you always needed a bar of wax to keep the wax block it was currently using pushed in - so you always needed a spare one on hand, because even if it had wax, it would stop working, unless you had enough to keep up the pressure.

I know those are all bad points, but the quality is really good, and I like the shiny finish on the prints. I don't know if they have improved any of the above, but it's something you may want to look into.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    macserverxmacserverx Posts: 217member
    Does the Phaser 6100 fit into the reviews of Phasers done here? They're easier to come by and (therefore, supply-demand) cheaper. Is there any reason not to get this printer?

Also, a comparison of the price and page count between the Phaser 860 and Phaser 6100 showed (roughly) a small amount of additional expense, but with my needs the costs would not be elevated to unmanageable levels.