Google OS?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just putting two and two together to make five...

Google appears to be growing into quite a M$ partner/rival. Anyone think that Google is creating an M$ rival OS of its own-- one that is especially internet based? The desktop search tool is to me more of an iTunes-ish insertion of the Google name into the desktop arena. Internet search= google for most. Desktop =? Internet search is one thing, but now Google seems to do Windows better than Windows.

Google seems poised as a rival to M$, AOL, Yahoo (and so many other WinTel groups), and lil' ol' Apple. Interestingly, Apple still seems to exist as an alternative to all that, at least in my estiamtion.

I post this thread because it seems that if anything, Google appears to be trying to usurp the M$opoly by pulling an Apple-- making things better.

Maybe it's superstition or paranoia, but it I can't help but shake the feeling that Google isn't manufacturing a new OS while sitting on top its pile of cash.

Sometimes the dark horse in the race really is the one to watch, no?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    maybe sometime in the future, but I don't think they're quite there yet.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    macserverxmacserverx Posts: 217member
    There was an article a few months back about Google stealing one of Microsoft's top devs for Windows (which doesn't say a whole lot). And it has been rumored about a Google OS before, so this is nothing new.

I think the statement about "pulling an Apple" is totally accurate. An Apple-Google partnership (formal or not) would be quite powerful in the next Internet future.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macserverX

There was an article a few months back about Google stealing one of Microsoft's top devs for Windows (which doesn't say a whole lot). And it has been rumored about a Google OS before, so this is nothing new.

Microsoft sues Google
  • Reply 4 of 26
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    Well we already know there is a Google FS. What is the next logical step?
  • Reply 5 of 26
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    The rumored Google OS is supposed to be linux based.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Well, I'm sure it would have some strengths. Would it conquer the world? I doubt it. However, I'd install it on my PCs, of course, I don't use those much, with my Macs.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Microsoft sues Google

Read before posting, numbnuts.

Regarding the google OS, Google is already marketing it: internet based tools independent of platform. AKA the internet OS.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by g3pro

Read before posting, numbnuts.

Who you talking to, cabron?
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Quote:

Who you talking to, cabron?

The Windows exec is not the same deal as the Microsoft search exec in which there is a lawsuit.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Haha, are you kidding? There's no way there's any entry for ANYONE into the OS market right now.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Haha, are you kidding? There's no way there's any entry for ANYONE into the OS market right now.

That's what I think to, but you could have made the same arguement when Google got into search.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

That's what I think to, but you could have made the same arguement when Google got into search.

An OS is a much bigger thing. Any computer can use any search engine. There is no installation of search engines; you don't have to have the other programs on your computer compatible with that search engine.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Quote:

The Windows exec is not the same deal as the Microsoft search exec in which there is a lawsuit.

The point of the article was to show that Microsoft is going against Google in courts; one would think that since I linked the article, I also read the article, hence your knee-jerk reaction was uncalled for.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:

The point of the article was to show that Microsoft is going against Google in courts; one would think that since I linked the article, I also read the article, hence your knee-jerk reaction was uncalled for.

You quoted the previous poster but just linked to an article which was not directly related at all to the current legal situation. MS is suing google over one search exec.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    Their searchable servers look really cool... and from a business aspect seem like a great idea - not knowing how many other server companies offer the same benefits.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:

You quoted the previous poster but just linked to an article which was not directly related at all to the current legal situation. MS is suing google over one search exec.

Ever heard of an pre-emptive strike? They're striking Google so that Google lose its focus.

God damn. Some people need to nitpick all the time. Carry on with your reading/discussion.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    ricksbrainricksbrain Posts: 517member
    I'm not so sure it's about preemptive strike exactly, but more like valuation-- Google just reported a 98% profit increase a minute ago. They have to put that money somewhere.

I'm having the same feeling about Google that I did about Apple just before the stock broke loose and strated to rocket up. This time, my feelings not so focused on the stock price or sales, but on the company's direction.

I seriously see something coming. I know this sounds ominous or even silly, but where is all that cash going except into development. Google has some of the sharpest minds around it seems...

Things are a'changin'. Apple and Google against M$ (even if they don't team together) spells rollercoaster fulla' fun.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    We'll see Gooffice before we see GoOS methinks.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    ricksbrainricksbrain Posts: 517member
    I could see that-- as part of of rethought OS. Instead of being limited to one platform, the OS is pieced together in bits, as people need them...

Maybe I'm reaching...?
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

We'll see Gooffice before we see GoOS methinks.

I think we'll see a GBrowser first, though.