Tiger 10.4.2 on a G3 Beige

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I installed Tiger on a G3 Beige with G4 ZIF 500, ATI Radeon 7000 and Sonnet Tempo ATA 66.

The Mac has 768 MB RAM and two hard drives 80 GB (Barracuda and Maxtor)

After the latest firmwire update of the ATA PCI card, it was finally completely compatible with Panther using Xpostfacto 4.0.5b and Powerlogix 2.1b cache enabler

But the partition with Tiger gets corrupted when I perform a check with OS9.

This is the message from Disk Firtsty Aid

Checking disk ?Tiger HD?.

Checking "Mac OS Standard" volume structures.

Checking wrapper System file.

Checking "Mac OS Extended" volume structures.

Checking for locked volume name.

Checking extent BTree.

Checking extent file.

Checking catalog BTree.

Checking catalog file.

Problem: Reserved fields in the catalog record have incorrect data, 458687, 5240

Checking catalog hierarchy.

Checking attributes BTree.

Problem: Invalid BTree Header, 0, 0

Checking volume bit map.

Checking volume info.

The volume ?Tiger HD? needs to be repaired.

The strange thing is, that, when I boot in Tiger and the single user moede and I use fsck -fy most if the time I get the message that the Tiger HD appears to be OK.

But as soon as I boot in OS9, every time disk first aid reports this disk damage.

And tyhen it takes more than 8 minutes to repair the disk.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

TIA.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    And there is another strange problem. I can't login in website such as Ebay and Appleinsider with Safari. (message = wrong password). But with the same password in Firefox it works.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Beige G3s can only boot from the first 6-8 GBs of a hard drive. You should partition that 80 GB drive in to 8 GB and 72 GB partitions and install Tiger on the first, 8GB partition. I'm not sure if this is the problem, but it is a known issue.

You could have gotten it installed on the drive, but as soon as critical system files are moved out past the first 8 GBs bad things will happen.

This limitation applies to early iMacs and other machines of that era. I don't think blue & white G3s have the problem though.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    This is only if you boot from a harddisk connected to the internal ATA. It is perfectly possible to install Tiger and Panther on a 40 GB partition when you use an ATA PCI controller. And I don't have disk damage in Panther.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I have a 80 GB boot drive in my Beige G3 that works just fine. I also have a removable drive bay as a slave that works great.

No PCI ATA cards at all.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Hammer Fan

This is only if you boot from a harddisk connected to the internal ATA. It is perfectly possible to install Tiger and Panther on a 40 GB partition when you use an ATA PCI controller. And I don't have disk damage in Panther.

Hmmm... do you get damage on a drive connected to the internal controller?

I have a beige G3 and I haven't put Tiger on it and probably not even Panther. I know it has an unsupported SCSI card which is used with my primary HD. So far I haven't tempted fate with it, especially since its already a FrankenMac with a CPU upgrade, a USB/FireWire PCI card, an upgraded GPU, and extra drives. It is prone to overheat, although now that I've rerouted a SCSI ribbon cable it might be OK.

Anyhow, the point is perhaps its the ATA card that is the problem. The card's drivers could be slightly incompatible and that is causing the damage.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    The strange thing is that when I boot in OSX 10.4 and I check my harddrive in the single user mode, it appears to be OK.

Is it possible that disk first aid 9.2 is incompatible with Tiger? When I boot from a Panther partition and I use the disk utility there the Tiger HD appears to be OK.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Boot from the install DVD, or CD, and run Disk Utilities. If it says it's okay thne I would have to say it was okay.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Hammer Fan

The strange thing is, that, when I boot in Tiger and the single user moede and I use fsck -fy most if the time I get the message that the Tiger HD appears to be OK.

But as soon as I boot in OS9, every time disk first aid reports this disk damage.

And tyhen it takes more than 8 minutes to repair the disk.

I would not trust OS 9 utilities to check and repair a OS X installation. If fsck says it is ok, I would take that as true and would not bother anymore with what disk first aid reports.