Just got the LG VX8100 form Verizon

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello everyone I just got this phone with Verizon and I want to sync it with my 12 in powerbook. My Pbook sees it but it's not currently supported.

My question is if apple updates their list of suppoeted phones freacuently cause i really want to use it's bluetooth capabilities to control iTunes and DVD player.

Also if you guys know of any hacks that will make it work under OS X, if not i think i'm taking it back .

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    it's a really nice phone, but it's going to take a serious hack on the phone to use the feature set since bluetooth is crippled by verizon.

If you get the USB datacable for it (you can connect to bitpim via bluetooth i think) you can use the free software BitPim to access and copy pictures, ringtones and other data onto your new phone.

If you have questions about your phone check out howardforums (search google) it has the best information on your model of phone.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    krisnephkrisneph Posts: 143member
    Thanks for the info. I'll chech it out
  • Reply 3 of 5
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by krisneph

Thanks for the info. I'll chech it out

I just got a V710 Motorola phone. They have a Bluetooth hack for it. It is disabled by default but there is a work around. :-)

*****Warning, this is not for your phone.****

Instead, it is the procedure I found on the web for my phone and it works great using iSync. Read it and then do a search for your phone in google.

Quote:

0.\tMake sure your phone has the latest firmware (go to the menu, select Phone Info, select Other Information, select S/W Version). Synchronization was added in version 8700_01.40.0R. If you don't have the latest firmware, go to a Verizon store and have them upgrade it.?

0.\tChange the existing V710 entry in /Applications: iSync.app: Contents: PlugIns: ApplePhoneConduit.syncdevice: Contents: PlugIns: PhoneModelsSync.phoneplugin: Contents: Resources: MetaClasses.plist to use the USB-BT driver. When you're done, the entry should look like this:

0.\t<key>com.motorola.V710</key>

0.\t<dict>

0.\t <key>Identification</key>

0.\t <dict>

0.\t <key>com.apple.gmi+gmm</key>

0.\t <string>Motorola CE, Copyright 2000+Motorola CDMA v710 Phone</string>

0.\t </dict>

0.\t <key>InheritsFrom</key>

0.\t <array>

0.\t <string>com.motorola.usb-bt.0x22B8/0x4902</string>

0.\t </array>

0.\t <key>Services</key>

0.\t <array>

0.\t <dict>

0.\t <key>ServiceName</key>

0.\t <string>com.apple.model</string>

0.\t <key>ServiceProperties</key>

0.\t <dict>

0.\t <key>ModelName</key>

0.\t <string>V710</string>

0.\t <key>PhoneIcon</key>

0.\t <string>MOTV710.tiff</string>

0.\t </dict>

0.\t </dict>

0.\t </array>

0.\t</dict>

0.\tMake sure to remove the V710 device from iSync if you had previously synchronized with a USB cable.?

0.\tIf you had previously tried to pair the V710 via Bluetooth, delete the device from the list of Bluetooth devices. Set your phone to be discoverable and then use the Bluetooth preferences to add the device again. This time the synchronization option should be checked instead of ghosted.?

0.\tIf the V710 doesn't automatically get added to iSync, go to the "Devices" menu and "Add Device...". Once added Bluetooth synchronization of Contacts and Calendars will work.

I've only tested this with the 10.4 version of iSync. I'm not sure how to get the Address Book functionality to be enabled with this phone. I'm going to look into that next...

• Reply 4 of 5
    krisnephkrisneph Posts: 143member
    Hey dp you think I can eventualy hack the VX8100 if not I have 2 days to take it back and get a V710.

I have been able to get movies,music, and ringtones but it's not easy and I really want to be able to sync calenders and contacts. Well let me know what you think, is it a good idea to get the motorola phone instead?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I would like to add that the V710 does not seem to have enough memory to hold all of my contacts (I have a lot) but I do have about 130 loaded and the next 8 weeks of work events and b-days loaded.

It works great.