A few backyard nature pics...

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I spotted all these guys yesterday evening.

The mantis is a baby about a 1/4" long at most. My digital camera (Olympus D-550 Zoom) is just incapable of taking close up detailed shots. The eyesight on these little hunters is amazing. It's little head follwed all my movements as I tried to capture the best shot.

The tarantula was about 5" long, 4" across. Biggest one I've seen up here so far. The grey covering it's thorax actually looks like a platinum silver velvet coat in the flesh. really beautiful. It was triyng to nab the grasshopper (itself about 4" long) to no avail. I put the coffee cup by it for reference. It got a bit irritated with me...

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...&a=31830828&f=

Ehh, no big deal. Just sharing wit ya guys...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Thanks for sharing... now go out and get a filter adapter and some close-up filters
  • Reply 2 of 11
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    I have a 35mm film camera that I haven't used in a few years. I'd have to clean off the cobwebs...Bahh.

I just added a new pic. Baby lizards were just born today! They're everywhere. This little guy is no more than 3/4" long.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...&a=31830828&f=

Come on people. What do you have creeping around your house? Pics please.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardhead

Come on people. What do you have creeping around your house? Pics please.

I found a dragonfly in my room two days ago! Huge, just flying around the ceiling. Considering I live in the heart of the 'hood, this was pretty weird. I got a picture of it.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    ^Let's see it man...
  • Reply 5 of 11
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    My sister lives in a 200 year old house on a farm in Virginia .

I was visiting last week and as my nephew Sam was closing up the chicken coop for the night he found this:

It's about a five foot long black snake and when he first found it, it was sliding right underneath a hen. The snake had eaten an egg from her nest and I guess that she knew that the snake couldn't eat her, so she just calmly sat there until the snake went on its way.

Chickens are weird.

Snakes are freaky.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    What kind of snake is that? I presume it's not venomous?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Looks like a black rat snake. You see them all the time in the hay in barns in Maryland. They would eat new chicks if you don't keep them out of the hen house. They tend to stick to small animals and eggs. Most chickens are too large for them.

reg
  • Reply 8 of 11
    resres Posts: 711member
    Here is a little fellow that was crawling around my bathtub:

When I came in for a close up it moved into an attack stance:

Every spring I get about a dozen of these spiders in the house, and they are gone by summer.

-
  • Reply 9 of 11
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    You people need to tell me where you live so I know where not to visit or vacation.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    If I caught that in my bathtub, I'd probably sell the house...
  • Reply 11 of 11
    mariusmarius Posts: 23member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

You people need to tell me where you live so I know where not to visit or vacation.

...probably NOT Iceland