can i get a decent printer for $100?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
i am looking for a home printer for my ibook. uses would be cd inserts, text, documents, web pages, etc. i would use the office laser for higher quality photo copies.

below are a few printers at the apple website that are $100 or less (including the canon ip3000 that has a $20 rebate).

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...1.0.6.9.3.11.1

anyone have thoughts on one of these cheap printers that could save me having to drive to the office if i reslly need a print-out at home?

thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Cheap printers are pretty much free while replacement cartridges are a relative rip-off.

If purchasing base upon price, make sure to figure in ink cartridges. They will quickly add up to more than the cost of the printer.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally posted by boochydog

i am looking for a home printer for my ibook. uses would be cd inserts, text, documents, web pages, etc. i would use the office laser for higher quality photo copies.

You dont specify if you need colour or B&W.

A laser will be better value for money, I use a brother 1440, which cost $100 a while ago ( $50 rebate ).

I also have an epson r300, its sibling the r200 is $99, and they are pretty good printers.

The epsons have very small black cartridges, they are photo printers, which is why I have a laser printer as well. Ink for the epson is $55 at costco, more elsewhere. The brother toner is about $55 as well, but is good for about 5000 pages, not the few hundred you get out of the epson.

The choice really depends on what you want to print. If you get the epson first you will probably find yourself getting a laser soon to keep your running costs down.

The epson prints to cd, which is quite handy.

Both work well with Tiger, which has native drivers. I had trouble with the epson under panther, with the epson drivers. Nothing too serious, but a little annoying. Wouldnt share properly, cds wouldnt print, borderless didnt work.