use of intel xserves in clusters???

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was just wondering what the future of Xserve's use in clusters is after the intel switch. The reason i ask is that the big clusters are hardware based and, although OS X is nice, i would think the cheaper sources of intel based stuff would make the loss of the OS worth it.

I understand that those who use xgrid may keep with Apple but the price just doesn't seems worth it for the big clusters.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    cesarcesar Posts: 102member
    I wish apple use 64 bit-dual-core & dual xeons on their pro desktops and servers... but it would be great if apple uses the bad-a@@ intel processor: the itanium. =)

MS said that they won't support the itanium for next releaes of their OS.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

I was just wondering what the future of Xserve's use in clusters is after the intel switch. The reason i ask is that the big clusters are hardware based and, although OS X is nice, i would think the cheaper sources of intel based stuff would make the loss of the OS worth it.

I understand that those who use xgrid may keep with Apple but the price just doesn't seems worth it for the big clusters.

Alright ladies. . . The G5 IS FASTER than the Pentium M. The Dual core G5 will be faster than Yonah. So Apple is pretty much throwing away its cluster market, especially since apps that run on clusters generally take advantage of Altivec.

BUT!

Cell or a Cell drivative would have taken the market away not long from now, so Apple's position in the supercomputer market would have also dried up if they stayed with PPC.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cesar

but it would be great if apple uses the bad-a@@ intel processor: the itanium. =)

MS said that they won't support the itanium for next releaes of their OS.

And for good reason, it's crap! It couldn't be any farther from badass.

I ported our company's device driver to Itanium in the very early days which was an exercise in futility.