"I never new podcasts did that..."

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I opened up iTunes today and to the left of the name of two of my three Podcasts were question mark icons. I click on one and see iTunes has stopped updating this Podcast because you have not recently listened to any episodes. Would you like to continue updating this Podcast.

That's a great little feature I hope you may have noticed.

Side note: the spell check in Safari does not recognize Podcast.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

[BSide note: the spell check in Safari does not recognize Podcast. [/B]

Neither do Micrsoft employes. "Blogcast" is what they are forced to say.

BTW. I didn't know that iTunes did that either-cool.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    jagoochjagooch Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Danosaur View Post

I opened up iTunes today and to the left of the name of two of my three Podcasts were question mark icons. I click on one and see iTunes has stopped updating this Podcast because you have not recently listened to any episodes. Would you like to continue updating this Podcast.

That's a great little feature I hope you may have noticed.

That is a horrible feature for people who are frequently in a hurry so that they turn on the computer, plug in their iPod to sync it, and then turn the computer off right away ( like I do every morining ). I barely get time to sync my iPod during the week so that I can listen to it at work/school. So, imagine my dismay when I returned to work after flying out for 2 weeks of training, to discover that my news quicklist was completely empty! It may only be 1 every week or two that I get to listen to my news podcasts, but I expect iTunes to dutifully do what I told it to do until tell it otherwise.

Oh, and you cannot override this 'feature', so if it doesn't work for you, then you cannot fix it.

When will Apple, and companies in general, learn to stop second-guessing their own customers?

-JohnG
  • Reply 3 of 8
    nevenmrgannevenmrgan Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jagooch View Post

So, imagine my dismay when I returned to work after flying out for 2 weeks of training, to discover that my news quicklist was completely empty!

Really, I can't imagine it. The thought itself is too horrific.

What stopped you from clicking, ok, update this podcast?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Danosaur View Post

It doesn't recognize "new" either.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    I hate this feature also. I sometimes listen to various podcasts on my laptop and sometimes on my desktop. If I go to long without listening to them on one or the other, they quit updating.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    jagoochjagooch Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

Really, I can't imagine it. The thought itself is too horrific.

What stopped you from clicking, ok, update this podcast?

Maybe because I don't even turn the monitor on? I got it automated so that I just hit the power button, the computer comes up, and starts iTunes by itself. I just go do something else to give it time to download new podcast files, and then I plug in the iPod to sync it. when its done syncing, I hit the power button, and then system does a graceful shutdown.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    aryayusharyayush Posts: 191member
    So you have a computer just for updating your podcasts! WOW!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    skyboltskybolt Posts: 111member
    What I hate more is when iTunes just decides to "lose" my podcasts. I get the exclamation point, and I am told that iTunes can't find the podcast - would I like to locate it? And then it can't be located! So, in effect, iTunes is deleting my podcasts before I even get a chance to listen!