iPod video mockup from gizmodo

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/porta...led-114727.php

although i like the idea and the mockup, it just seems like a loser device. it would be too big and expensive for the 'experience', not to mention a pain to carry around.

I really think if one is made, it will be with goggles, or no real video output, just connect to your airport extreme.

nonetheless, its a good mockup.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    I hate it.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    gdconwaygdconway Posts: 71member
    I hate it as well. What exactly would you do with that monster? Why could the click wheel have to be so damn big? Its a bad idea as executed by the other competing players. I'd be happy if it just had video out so you could store video on it and easily play it when transported. Portable tivo. Hook to a digital camcorder as extra storage. But watch video on a small screen? No thanks. I'd much rather see phone/PDA capabilities added/improved.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    I firmly believe that Apple WILL introduce a VIDEO iPod ACCESSORY, NOT an entirely new design.

It makes sense, and is consistent with rumors and reports...Consider the following...

1. In order to have a video device, you need CONTENT. Clear signs in iTunes, rumors, and the Intel deal all point to Apple creating a video service, like the iTMS. The first priority of such a service is PROTECTED content: Apple and Intel have already handled this. The second priority is PROFIT, especially for the movie studios who worry about the impact on DVD sales.

2. If you're Apple and you have 70%+ marketshare with the iPod, do you really want to level the playing field with your competitors by starting from scratch, with a new device and service? Can you deliver content and get the studios on board without a guaranteed audience? What if every 3G & 4G iPod user became a potential customer for this service overnight, without having to trash their iPod and invest $500 in a new one?

3. Steve, Ives and USERS all agree that the iPod form factor, interface etc. is nearly perfect for the experience of listening to music. Any attempt to add a large video screen threatens that experience, AND again forces users to choose between music and movies when selecting a device. But, you do need at least a 4" screen, controls, and a processor for video playback...The common element is the HARD DRIVE for storage.

4. Imagine (or see for yourself with a proposed accessory already planned for production by Nyko - in the iPod Lounge Buyer's Guide) a device with a large (4" +) LCD screen, speakers, battery and controls, but NO HARD DRIVE. Now, imagine the iPod slides in and docks with this device. BINGO, best of both worlds.

- Same iPod music experience

- Excellent Video Playback

- Ease of upgrade for ALL 3G & 4G users

- Leverages existing marketshare and iTMS

- Includes Intel chip for playback decoding (cheap, low power)

- Allows iPod music to remain core function and 'background' experience.

- Similar Home Dock links to TV for Tivo like functions. Insert iPod, copy video files, sync music, sync internet purchased movies and go!

I think this is the best way to deal with the video question. It eliminates the ALL OR NOTHING approach of the device pictured, and would instantly OWN the market for video if priced under $300.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    i like your response with the 'plug the ipod' into the new device, and it kind of fits with that funny patent showing the laptop with an ipod plugged into it with the clickwheel as the 'trackpad'. you might be on to something there!

what would be nice is built in wifi with a simple browser...and make your widgets sync to the device.
  • Reply 5 of 12
  • Reply 6 of 12
    eekles77eekles77 Posts: 58member
    I think that the Fujitsu e-paper is the way to go for an iPod Video. If they work on it a bit, they could get the paper to play video as long as it has power, and it would just slide out from a slot in the iPod, so there would be no size difference, yet the screen could be as big as the iPod itself...
  • Reply 7 of 12
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    I think the idea behind a video ipod would be to connect your ipod to a external monitor and then play your movies. I don't think the screen real state will change. The great thing about the current ipod is the portability. anything much bigger would be set for failure IMHO.

So hopefully it video ipod will be very similar to the current ones with a much bigger HD capacity as well as the battery life.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I bet the video iPod will be very similar to the current iPod, basically following the model set by the iPod Photo: it will have all the regular iPod functions but also have video decoding. Content will play on the iPod screen itself, but its dock will plug into a TV like the iPod Photo (now just regular iPod).

The first video store will be heavy on content smaller than full-length movies. They'll have TV shows and other smaller clips. Notice how they call podcasting "Tivo for radio?" I bet the first video store will have a similar model of "Tivo" - but rather than programming your TV to record what you want, you'll instead buy the clips you want and either watch them on your computer, or watch it on TV by either streaming it over Airport or syncing them to an iPod that can be docked to a TV.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    ngmapplengmapple Posts: 117member
    What if the iPod had a tiny lens to project video on any availible surface? Maybe not, as a surface may not always be availible so I think a stylish eye piece or pair of shades (I could see Apple parterning with an eyewear maker on this design) with an integrated 16x9 ratio display would be the best option. I've seen wearable computers like this already, althought they're usually in the $3k+ range. Hopefully Apple's longer term goal is to get a complete OS X running on the pod. Kind of like the OQO running a full copy of XP. But a much more elegant and practical design.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/porta...led-114727.php

although i like the idea and the mockup, it just seems like a loser device. it would be too big and expensive for the 'experience', not to mention a pain to carry around.

I really think if one is made, it will be with goggles, or no real video output, just connect to your airport extreme.

nonetheless, its a good mockup.

uh it'd be like the size of a candybar cell phone. tons of people carry those around.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    elronelron Posts: 126member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

uh it'd be like the size of a candybar cell phone. tons of people carry those around.

The iPod is already bigger than a "candy-bar" form factor cell phone. It may be a bit skinnier, but the other dimensions dwarf your standard cell phone. The iPod Video mock up kind of reminds me of a Maglite flashlight. You know, the flashlights with the long handles... the ones that you can grab by the wrong end and use as a weapon?

I think the artist might be on to something here actually. What's the solution to the "growing" iPod theft problem? Make the things into a weapon. Next time some thug walks up to you and demands you iPod, just whack him over the head with it. Problem solved.

Now if they'd only integrate a taser...
  • Reply 12 of 12
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Looks like a PSP to me.