where did my 40GB go?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a pb with 60GB harddisk. i just formatted it and then added my 20GB of songs. ok, now when i open my finder it says at the bottom of the window that i only have 17.2 MB available!

i went to the Machintosh Harddisk and still it says 17.2 MB available....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Did you do a clean install, or an archive and install? Which OS version?

You'll presumably have a system and all the default apps installed.

(Depending on which version of the OS, it might be many GB itself).

With an archive install, you may also have similar content in an old system folder.

Don't forget to empty trash and restart... sometimes cache files don't report cleared.

Fresh boot and trash emptying will often reclaim more space.

HTH.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Did you do a clean install, or an archive and install? Which OS version?

You'll presumably have a system and all the default apps installed.

(Depending on which version of the OS, it might be many GB itself).

With an archive install, you may also have similar content in an old system folder.

Don't forget to empty trash and restart... sometimes cache files don't report cleared.

Fresh boot and trash emptying will often reclaim more space.

HTH.

I did a clean install, erased everything. I'm on Tiger now.

and i don't have anything on my harddisk except my 20GB of Music in the music folder in itunes and some videos, around 100MB.

there is no way i have downloaded 40 GB of stuff within 2 days!

my harddisk is so full it won't let me unzip a file!!

its getting even fuller while i'm surfing the net! its down now to 5.2 MB!!!

please help!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    In the Finder, if you click on your hard disk icon in the Sidebar (assuming it's visible) you should see the root level of your drive, with its typical folder structure including Applications, Desktop, Library, System, Users (where your actual home folder resides and its Music, Movies, blah blah...)

Switching to List view and enabling the view options (bottom of view menu) to "calculate all sizes" will chug along for a while and then give you the individual sizes of each of these folders. (Spotlight can also search by filesize, but its indexing consumes space as well, so the numbers in either case aren't byte accurate and absolute, but should help you identify suspect folders.

I wouldn't be surprised if you've got almost 10GB accounted for by "default" Apple apps, system, etc.

If you installed all the additional languages and printer drivers this might be even larger.

You can get search versiontracker for an app like DeLocalizer which will kill languages you don't want and save between 200 and 700MB, though I'm not sure if it's officially Tiger friendly yet (worked fine in Jaguar and Panther).
  • Reply 4 of 7
    The only other likely reasoning I can think of is if you've partitioned the drive.

Run Disk Utility (in Apps -> Utilities) and click the drive icon to see its physical and volume sizes.

System Profiler should also identify the physical size based on ATA device info.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Download OmniDiskSweeper.

It will show you a hierarchal list of what's taking up space on your hard drive. Very useful.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Thanks everyone!

i discovered that i copied my Music twice in the same Music folder. thats why it took my entire space! but after deleting the duplicate music, there are more than 25GB available now.

Thanks Again I really appreciate it!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    gardnerjgardnerj Posts: 167member
    for future reference you can also do the following in terminal to get dir space/usage info.

open terminal

type du -k |sort -n

sit back and wait for it to scan