Xserve revamp soon? Speculation

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
As an admin who has deployed 4 Xserves in the past 2 years, and love the simplicity of the administration and set up of them, I still feel the Xserve platform leaves alot to be desired. For instance, Apple needs to put out a 2U-3U chassis. I've outlined some reasons for this below:

Room for Redundant Power Supplies. With modern day DR requirements, this is a must IMO. I don't purchase an HP server without redundant PS, why does Apple force me to?

Built-in VGA graphics. They had it in the G4 Xserve, but it's missing in the G5 Xserve. I assume the reasons are space limitations. All that is required is a simple VGA interface allong the lines of ATI Radeon 7500 capabilities. I can run most things headless, but for set up and emergencies, nothing beats a real monitor interface.

2-3 PCI free slots. I've maxed out my PCI slots on several machines and find I need more, especially with the G5 Xserve. Here's a senario: You have an Xserve that connects to a RAID. There's one PCI card for the Fiber card. Now you want to back the server up to a tape robot, you take another slot for the SCSI interface. Now that leaves you no PCI slots available.

Up to 6 drive bays for applications where an external RAID would be overkill, such as a Filemaker server, or where it would work in conjuction with an external RAID like those CMS solutions where you have your data on the external RAID and the metadata database houses itself on an internal RAID.

Am I missing something as to why Apple is not giving enough attention to it's Enterprise level hardware? Are there valid reasons why Xserves make sense to stay the way they are?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

Built-in VGA graphics. They had it in the G4 Xserve, but it's missing in the G5 Xserve. I assume the reasons are space limitations. All that is required is a simple VGA interface allong the lines of ATI Radeon 7500 capabilities. I can run most things headless, but for set up and emergencies, nothing beats a real monitor interface.

Setting up an Xserve without a monitor using Server Assistant from your desktop is very nice and easy, so I don't see a need for a VGA interface.

Quote:

2-3 PCI free slots. I've maxed out my PCI slots on several machines and find I need more, especially with the G5 Xserve. Here's a senario: You have an Xserve that connects to a RAID. There's one PCI card for the Fiber card. Now you want to back the server up to a tape robot, you take another slot for the SCSI interface. Now that leaves you no PCI slots available.

For what?

Quote:

Am I missing something as to why Apple is not giving enough attention to it's Enterprise level hardware? Are there valid reasons why Xserves make sense to stay the way they are?

I don't think they aren't giving it enough attention. Apple is just getting started with the enterprise segment, and hardware alone isn't enough to get you into the enterprise.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Setting up an Xserve without a monitor using Server Assistant from your desktop is very nice and easy, so I don't see a need for a VGA interface.

Many people don't want to use Server Assistant they want to use their KVM setups. I can vouch for the fact that not having basic VGA has cost Apple sales.

Quote:

For what?

SCSI, Fibre HBA, Multiport NICS, 10g

I do think Apple will remedy most of the shortcomings of the Xserve. I would love to see a 2U model with 6 bays and redundant PS and fans.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Many people don't want to use Server Assistant they want to use their KVM setups. I can vouch for the fact that not having basic VGA has cost Apple sales.

Perhaps to people who need to set up a single server and don't have a cooled server room (or to people with too much time on their hands).

Quote:

SCSI, Fibre HBA, Multiport NICS, 10g

And most server users need all that plus more in one single server.

Don't expect Apple to cater for all types of customers with one server model. Over time we will probably see several Xserve models from Apple.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Don't expect Apple to cater for all types of customers with one server model. Over time we will probably see several Xserve models from Apple.

I don't see it as catering as much as it's Apple's offerings are subpar. People need the flexibility. I'm positive Apple will get there. Our best selling server is a 2U so Apple's leaving money on the table right now. We're also selling Blades well.

I have no doubt that with Intel mobo's Apple's next Powermac and Xserves will be full featured.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

I don't see it as catering as much as it's Apple's offerings are subpar. People need the flexibility.

Subpar? I don't think so. The current Xserve fits in rather well in many situations, and you have to start somewhere - plus flexibility adds to the price.

Currently we have 14 Xserves, and we aren't missing anything in them - perhaps redundant power supplies in some of them.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Oh don't get me wrong the Xserve sales that we lose are more likely fringe cases where they need more slots for legacy support.

In most cases the standard Xserves are fine for most needs. I would like to see more slots though as I don't see a diminishing need for multiple ports in some environments. Slap VGA back on though for people that don't want to remote manage a headless Xserve.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

I would like to see more slots though as I don't see a diminishing need for multiple ports in some environments.

So do I, I would really like to see 2Us, 3Us, blade servers and so on.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Oh don't get me wrong the Xserve sales that we lose are more likely fringe cases where they need more slots for legacy support.

In most cases the standard Xserves are fine for most needs. I would like to see more slots though as I don't see a diminishing need for multiple ports in some environments. Slap VGA back on though for people that don't want to remote manage a headless Xserve.

Two thoughts...

First:

Use the BTO option for a PCI VGA graphics card...

*** I know! I know! That eats up one of your available PCI slots! See Second... ***

Second:

Get a Magna PCI expansion chassis, stuff it all in there... They even have models with HDD bays, so stuff a RAID array in there also...!

In Closing:

These are "need it now" solutions. I will totally agree with you that Apple needs to diversify their product offerings to the enterprise/business/IT markets, and blade servers would be sweet...

I personally want to see a DCC workstation (3U, with all the trimmings), and a blade server renderfarm solution... Gotta be 6U on the blade server though, so it will fit w/my 3U DCC workstation & 3U XRAID; all nice & neat in a XtremeMac 12U soundproofed deskside rack...!

Hey murch, see the new modo?!? Looks interesting...

Maybe Apple will buy up Luxology someday...

They need a 3D app in the toolchest...
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Hey murch, see the new modo?!? Looks interesting...

Maybe Apple will buy up Luxology someday...

They need a 3D app in the toolchest...

You bet I have I'm looking to grabe the edu version next year and start dabbling. Modo is looking fantastic. Apple is foolish not to buy them. Final Cut Studio with Modo lite....drool.