Quick question about booting from flash drives

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Can it be done?

I want to make a boom box pretty soon out of an old mac, and I'd like to have a hard drive with no moving parts, at least to boot from (I can spin up a big cheap drive with the media on it later).

We're talking a G4 450 AGP (blueish box, I think they call it a sawtooth) if that makes a difference.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

Can it be done?

I want to make a boom box pretty soon out of an old mac, and I'd like to have a hard drive with no moving parts, at least to boot from (I can spin up a big cheap drive with the media on it later).

We're talking a G4 450 AGP (blueish box, I think they call it a sawtooth) if that makes a difference.

i think os x has problem booting from USB flash drives. firewire hard disks, possibly firewire flash drives, may be better. but you need 2gb at least... so firewire-to-ide buspowered 2.5" drive thing is probably the best

just throwing out some ideas here...
  • Reply 2 of 3
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

i think os x has problem booting from USB flash drives. firewire hard disks, possibly firewire flash drives, may be better. but you need 2gb at least... so firewire-to-ide buspowered 2.5" drive thing is probably the best

just throwing out some ideas here...

Good call, I just need something shock resistant.. flash is usually cheapest though

If 2.5" HD is the only option, I'm cool with that.. my bank account may not be though
  • Reply 3 of 3
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    FireWire is bootable.

(go for 6 pin if you want it to draw power from the Mac...

4 pin FW external devices usually require a separate power supply)

USB and/or Flash drives are not currently bootable.