Does iPhoto work only with photos imported directly from a digital camera?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
In other words, if my mom or a friend sent me a Kodak CD with a bunch of photos (or simply e-mailed me 1 photo), will iPhoto recognize and open those?

I'm getting the impression (hopefully wrong) that iPhoto seems to be made to work with a digital camera and first-generation importing.

Anyone know the scoop on this?

One of the first things I want to do when I get my new iMac is take all the photos and video from my sister's wedding last April and compile to together, make a cool presentation, edit together a couple of nicely-done iMovies, arrange it all in iDVD and burn a DVD to send to her as a surprise gift.

Unfortunately, the majority of photos taken that day were on traditional cameras, not digital ones. But my mom has the negatives and if she were to send them off and get a Kodak PhotoCD made from them, couldn't I take that disk and bring them into iPhoto for viewing, cataloging, cropping, choosing, etc.?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    A digital camera isn't needed to take advantage of iPhoto. For example, a hefty collection of stock photography came on my Illustrator upgrade CD and I was able to import it by dragging the folder on top of the app. Easy as pie and about as slow.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Cool! Thanks for the quick response. I wasn't nuts about sitting here and scanning a bunch of wedding photos if I didn't have to.

Instead, my mom can get a Kodak CD made and I can just go from there.

Very cool. Thank you.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    My major beef (besides its speed) is the fact that, because it's based on QuickTime, it can't recognize native Illustrator files. I would love to import Illustrator clipart since there's no way of viewing thumbnails for these files.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    [quote]Originally posted by cooop:

<strong>My major beef (besides its speed) is the fact that, because it's based on QuickTime, it can't recognize native Illustrator files. I would love to import Illustrator clipart since there's no way of viewing thumbnails for these files. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I noticed that too..
  • Reply 5 of 7
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Careful, some Kodak CDs I've seen come back don't actually let you use the photos outside the view app it comes with. Be sure that what your getting back is a CD with .jpg files that are easily accessible.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I wonder if iPhoto will recognize PDFs or photoshop files (things that Preview can display)?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Yes, I believe it supports all graphic files viewable with QuickTime, including Photoshop, TIFF, Targa, etc.